What's new
What's new

.222Rem. Headspace gauges.

Bobnotthecat

Cast Iron
Gentlemen,

What's up with Brownells? Six weeks ago I ordered Forster go and no go headspace gauges from Brownells. I was told then that they were out of stock and that they were on back order. I asked them when they were expected to arrive. Soon, they said. Since then I made calls to Brownells on the status of my order and all that they will say is "They are on back order".

Am I just wasting my time here? Brownells, forever, has been the go to place for my gunsmithing needs.

I feel jerked around. Am I justified in this? Should I look for a new vendor? Any suggestions as to who would dependably supply my needs?

Thanks for your advice and enlightenment,

Bob....not the cat.

They don't make them. If they are on back order they can't ship them to you until they come in. In other words they are at the mercy of their supplier, just like you.

They don't make them. If they are on back order they can't ship them to you until they come in. In other words they are at the mercy of their supplier, just like you.
If it Forster being the problem with slow delivery maybe they could be another supplier? Pacific Tool and Gauge maybe?

Thanks guys,

Yesterday I canceled the Brownells order. They didn't seem to excited over that. I put my order in with Forster but the web site didn't say if they had them in stock or even if they are being shipped. Upon checkout, after making payment available, they stated then that the gauges may or my not be in stock and may be on back order. After the sale???

Maybe all are on a slow boat from China:)

Still in limbo,
Bob....not the cat.

Do you need your own set or just a one time use?
I do have a set but not willing to sell. Per haps a loan though.

Seems like your should have ordered them from another manufacturer. If Forster doesn't have them for Brownell's, they probably don't have them for direct sale.

Thank you Ed, You are a generous man. However I prefer to use my own tools though if only once.

I found a go gauge at Pacific and can make do with it. It needs only to give me a minimum depth for a falling block breech.

Bob....not the cat.

How difficult is it to make a gauge oneself. Seems like it would be relatively easy to do, but making one and measuring it to be sure it to spec are another mater.

They can be made fairly easily. Turn a diameter to min body dimension,.359". Then a short section is turned down the datum diameter, .330", do not break edge. Then finish to an overall length of 1.2936"min, 1.3036"max. They don't chamber easily as there is no taper, but for one barrel they work fine. I make them out of O-1 and check dimensions on an optical comparator.

Back