What's new
What's new

223/5.56 ban.....Hype or DC idiots serious?

david n

Diamond
So now there's gonna be a run on 223/5.56 ammo? Is it a blanket ban.....all 223/5.56 ammo? Or specific ammo....FMJ? DC is a sewer pond needing to be drained.............

Apparently a ban on SS109/M855 and commercial equivalents, at least to start with. Probably will be expanded to include steel core Russian surplus, etc.

I read once that there are three ways to restrict gun owners:

Restrict access to guns, restrict access to ammunition, and restrict access to places to practice.

All three have been going on for decades.

Only the "green tip" ammo would be banned. That is steel core ammo.

As I understand it, this ammo was previously banned, but they did not renew the ban in 1986 because there were no pistols available to shoot 5.56 high power rounds. Apparently now there are. I had no idea people were making .223 pistols.

Of course all the gun nuts are going to tell us the sky is falling. Tinfoil hats for everyone!

I read once that there are three ways to restrict gun owners:

Restrict access to guns, restrict access to ammunition, and restrict access to places to practice.

All three have been going on for decades.

LOL. Are there any guns you want that you can't buy?

DC is a sewer pond needing to be drained.............

I don't think draining the pond will do any good, it will refill, and be back to what it was. You need to treat sewage to turn it into anything usable, but its still shit!

Josh

'Armor piercing ammunition' for is illegal for pistols. Since AR15 pistols are now common, they want to reclassify M855 steel core as 'armor piercing handgun ammunition', and therefore make it illegal. It's for the children.

As I understand it, this ammo was previously banned, but they did not renew the ban in 1986 because there were no pistols available to shoot 5.56 high power rounds. Apparently now there are. I had no idea people were making .223 pistols.

Of course all the gun nuts are going to tell us the sky is falling. Tinfoil hats for everyone!

huh? Is shooting steel core .223 out of a pistol more dangerous than shooting it out of a rifle????

LOL. Are there any guns you want that you can't buy?

Yeah, lots! I live in Massa-Choose-Its where there are all kinds of restrictions. All handguns have to be on the approved list to be sold. Manufacturers have to submit samples for destructive testing. Even some single action revolvers that are highly desired for Cowboy Action Shooting can't be bought here. They even banned high end target pistols such as the Pardini because they had a magazine forward of the pistol grip.

Can't buy any Modern Sporting Rifles with features such as bayonet lugs, flash hiders, etc. This is not a major loss for target shooting but it does limit selection and therefore runs prices up.

'Armor piercing ammunition' for is illegal for pistols. Since AR15 pistols are now common, they want to reclassify M855 steel core as 'armor piercing handgun ammunition', and therefore make it illegal. It's for the children.

And the simplest solution would be to prohibit the use of such ammunition in AR15 pistols. The ratio of AR15 rifles to AR15 pistols is certainly huge. This is another case that defies the principle of punishing the guilty while leaving the rest of us alone.

Bingo. Armor piercing "pistol" ammo is already banned. Once a prevalence of handguns is on the market in any caliber, the ATF then considers is a pistol cartridge. There was previously an exception made for green tip ammo due to the commonality, affordability, and prevalence of the ammo on the market. This exception is no longer in place.

They are following the rules they set forth honestly. The real issue is the fact that they ban armor piercing ammo at all. Their idea of "armor piercing" is illogical and not at all congruent with what makes a bullet armor piercing. You can see the fallout of their inappropriate definitions in any of the Barnes solid-copper or brass/bronze bullets that get taken off the market because they're considered "armor piercing" due to the monolithic non-lead aspect. It's bullshit.

But... the gun and ammo companies will never let a good crisis go to waste... nor the rabble-rousing subscriber-hungry NRA seeking to create fear, uncertainty, and doubt in the American populace in hopes of lining their own pockets and trying to prove the need of their existence (despite the NRA-ILA falling way, way, way behind in lobbying effectiveness compared to better 2A interest groups (Second Amendment Foundation for example))

huh? Is shooting steel core .223 out of a pistol more dangerous than shooting it out of a rifle????

The concern is about criminals having access to an easily concealable firearm/ammunition combo that can defeat LEO body armor. Instead of increasing penalties for possession during a crime they will once again attempt to make criminals behave by restricting non-criminals.

Get a permit.

For a normal person it isn't a permit, it is a tax stamp. And you won't be able to get one until the gov't loses Hollis v. Holder and Watson v. Holder.

Normal people don't have an FFL and a SOT, those are for dealers/manufactures.

For a normal person it isn't a permit, it is a tax stamp. And you won't be able to get one until the gov't loses Hollis v. Holder and Watson v. Holder.

Normal people don't have an FFL and a SOT, those are for dealers/manufactures.

OK. All I am saying is you can own pretty much any kind of gun if you want to do the paperwork. There may be date restrictions, but you can do it in a general sense.

The concern is about criminals having access to an easily concealable firearm/ammunition combo that can defeat LEO body armor. Instead of increasing penalties for possession during a crime they will once again attempt to make criminals behave by restricting non-criminals.

Scott,

Increased incarceration TIME for having a certain type of ammunition while committing murder? Hmm doubtful that that would be a deterrent to a crazy packing armor piercing rounds intent on murder.. But hey who knows.

Bill

My narrow minded .002

Its all hype... I live in NY... they sky fell into the depths of hell here... we all still have our rifles... .22 ammo is back in stock.... everyone stayyyyy calm or it all happens again.

fox-news-brainwashed-sheep.jpg

Back