What's new
What's new

What gun parts can be made legally?

sagespecialized

Cast Iron
I have a customer that wants to make some gun parts. I don't have any sort of FFL paperwork and am not looking to acquire any as I understand it can be quite expensive.

As a machinist I don't want to get myself into hot water with the govt so I would like to know what I need to stay away from and avoid any hassles.

Thanks,

You have to be careful these days as the ATF is ruling that "manufacturing" requires some kind of license. Look at the ATF website and see what THEY say.

You can make the controlled parts for your own use, not for sale.

You'll need a license from the ATFE to make serial numbered receivers for your customer (or whichever part the ATFE requires to be serialized for a particular firearm). Maybe an ITAR license, too, depending on who you believe (when the particulars don't fit neatly into State Dep't regulations).

Everything else is fair game.

The only part per the ATF that you Can not make is a Receiver to make. Receiver you need a 07 Lic to work or sales you need 01 or 07 Lic. Best to check with the ATF first to be safe.

Dave

I have a customer that wants to make some gun parts. I don't have any sort of FFL paperwork and am not looking to acquire any as I understand it can be quite expensive.

As a machinist I don't want to get myself into hot water with the govt so I would like to know what I need to stay away from and avoid any hassles.

Thanks,

What gun parts can be made legally?
The whole thing can be made (including the receiver).
You just can't make it with the "intent" to sell it. Doesn't mean you can't sell it, you just can't make it solely to sell it. This of course is for non-manufacturers (most of us).
If you make most any "part" for sale, you risk "being in the bussiness" and could be required an FFL of some sort.

Thanks for the info.

I will dig into the ATF website for the do"s and don'ts.

I made a lot of parts for the Dillon mini gun when I lived in Phx. but was an employee at the time, so i'm not sure what the owner had in the way of paperwork, if any. This shop did a lot of aerospace work as well. I do know that only one shop made the receiver as it had the serial numbers on it but the owner of that shop was "in the business" so he had all the right docs necessary.

Thanks again.

Anything that doesn't have a serial number is okay. Don't work on the serial numbered part itself either without speaking to a lawyer and the ATF. That includes test fitting and assembling on a customers receiver.

I don't see myself doing any fitting or assembly, i'll leave that to the experts.

I'm not a smith so I really don't have the proper training to do that kind of stuff and if I get it wrong it could be ugly so I'm not going there.

I'll know more in a week or so as to what kind of parts they are after.

Great advise given, thanks.

Back