What's new
What's new

50 BMG barrels for a Build $250. Shipped

tgren

Plastic
I came across a deal on some 50 bmg barrels. Build your own 50 bmg where legal. Brand new, 4140 steel, 34" long, chambered in 50 BMG, 1-15" twist, 8 groove RH. The breach is threaded 1.5 - 12 TPI, for a length of 1.700" The muzzle is threaded 1" - 12 TPI for a length of 1.300" Breach end is 1.700" in diameter, muzzle is 1.150" in diameter. Great opportunity to purchase a high quality, brand new barrel in 50 BMG. $250 shipped.DSCF6249-001.jpgDSCF6247-001.JPG

Attachments

• DSCF6246.JPG
    DSCF6246.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 2,756
  • DSCF6251-001.JPG
    DSCF6251-001.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 2,843
  • DSCF6254-001.JPG
    DSCF6254-001.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 4,270
can't even touch a Shilen blank for that price.
not sure why you would go cheap on a big buck build.
given the price per round, and the whole idea is to get long range accuracy
a greenmoutain blank is more then that.

unknown origin alleged good bargain barrel that's a no thanks

Where was the barrel actually made?

And where was the 4140 steel actually made?

Do you have an alloy analysis from an independent lab?

- Leigh

I didn't say I was smart. It is what it says. They are posted on Gun Broker and E-bay. I believe these are an over run. They are not marked. I think Mossberg made these barrels. But can't verify as they are unmarked. As far a suckering people in. I'm trying to sell them. As far as I know this is an opportunity as stated. Then again maybe it's a get rich scheme as implied. There are fewer than 20 available. I thought some machinists on this forum may enjoy building a 50bmg with the barrels. Where is the 4140 steel made? I have no clue. I'd about rather take the offer down. Than have replies as this. They are unmarked, most likely an over run of a contract that was never completed. If it's that offensive. I'll gladly take the offer down. They are selling fine on Gun Broker and Ebay. I honestly think it's and opportunity if some machinists want to build a 50bmg for a good price. Another thing I haven't had much experience on forums either. I do have an FFL I've had since 1997. I'm not trying to steal your money and not deliver the barrel.

tgren,
I think Leigh raises indirectly a good point. In other words: do you have any guarantee that they're indeed an overrun or a leftover and not plain rejects (e.g. they didn't pass X-ray, ultrasound, or similar tests)?

Trying not to sound hostile, I'd summarize the thoughts behind some of the comments in the following way: most of the people interested in building a custom 50 BMG rifle have as goal a bench-rest, or anyhow very accurate gun. Moreover, at least personally, especially dealing with such a powerful round, one wants to have all possible assurances against any structural defect in each single component.

Thanks!

Paolo

Honestly my thinking on that subject is that when a product is rejected for a serious flaw the company orders them destroyed. Although you have a good point these are unmarked with no guarantee. From what I see not every one is building for bench rest accuracy and seeing how much money they squash into a rifle. Yes structural integrity is very important. Most rejected barrels are saw cut if they are out of spec or destroyed if structurally unsafe. I have no proof of vendor or markings on the barrels. A simple mag particle test could be done along with a file check for hardness. I would build me a gun with these barrels. That's not saying much, As I shoot guns all the time I have no idea of their history or the actual quality and the handling of them through the years. Maybe I have to much confidence in the manufacturing processes that have been around for 100s years.

Troy

On the other hand there have been Sako, Rugers, Remingtons etc. that have been manufactured incorrectly and have had the barrel blown off and other malfunctions. The manufactures have been sued rightfully and wrongfully. I can't speak for all the rights and wrongs in the world. If I build a gun I will be the first person firing it. Same as when I work on on them.

Troy

That was the info I received when I bought them. The 4140 and dimensions were copy pasted from the add. How do you know what you get is 4140 or 41v50? I believed them. Who would put that much work into cold rolled steel? The machining looks consistent with 4140. Mostly I believed the place I bought them from. Do you know of a simple test?

Lothar Walther 50 BMG barrel blanks, and if ordered contoured LW 50 BMG barrels are not marked. They supply several 50 BMG rifle makers with their barrels. Not implying theses barrels were made by LW.

Do you know of a simple test?

If you have a scrap metals dealer nearby with a "ray gun" (XRF analyzer), he could tell you what it is.

If you have a scrap metals dealer nearby with a "ray gun" (XRF analyzer), he could tell you what it is.
Those guns will tell you what percentage of certain pre-defined elements exist in the alloy.

They will not tell you what impurities exist, nor identify them.

At least that's true of the ~$50,000 models that I recently investigated.

- Leigh

I have these on Gun Broker and Ebay. I've sold on these sites since 1998 and have 100% positive feed back on both sites. I posted on this site not to find suckers but because it has some of the smartest machinist there are. I've referred to this site for info for years. I've always refunded a purchase price or made sure the person got their order whether it as my fault or not. I bought a few of these barrels checked them out and found them to be fairly nice for the price. Then bought some more. One was purchased by a guy that has built 4-5 50s he sent me pics of them. They are nice rifles. After he got his barrel a friend of his purchased one also. I've sold 7 so far with no requests for refunds.

Troy

They look like Military style barrel. I had one of these or something very similiar come through my shop. Possible chrome lined.

They look like Military style barrel. I had one of these or something very similiar come through my shop. Possible chrome lined.

I got one of these barrels a week or 2 ago and can say the bores are not chrome lined. I will be trying the barrel on my next build later this summer after it has been reworked. The first 3 inch will be cut off and rethreaded to 1"-14tpi for a Armalite brake, this is a photo of barrel with barrel extension installed. The extension which is made of 4140 has to be heat treated yet.nextbuild.jpg

Back