What's new
What's new

Cannon ball problem

Bob Itnyre

Aluminum
A friend of mine gave me this problem. If you’ve seen it please tell me where. I’ve searched without luck. Anyway, this was supposed to have been a problem at the Naval academy quite a few years ago.

You have four perfectly spherical cannon balls. Let’s say they are 12 inches in diameter. They could be any size as long as they are all the same. You place three of them on a flat surface, blocked, so they won’t roll and the three are all touching each other. Then you place the fourth one in the space at the top. All four are now touching each other. What would be the size of a smaller ball that could be placed in the center of the four, so that it touched all four balls and did not keep them from touching each other?

A couple of math teachers I know are wrestling with it, but I figure machinists do this stuff every day.

What would be the size of a smaller ball
2.697 for 12" balls

John

John, thank you but could you tell me how you got the answer. I've been moving angles around in my head until I'm not sure where I'm going with it. Bob

Less than ten minutes in Autocad :D

Drew a plan view of the three, then a section view thru one of the apexes on the plan view - so I could then draw in the top ball. The rest was to see what ball would be on center and touch the two balls in the section view (which of course represent all four of them)

The 12" "connector" between any of the three and the top ball stands at an angle of 54.7356 degrees above the "floor" the three sit on. Bisceting this connector with a line that intersects assembly centerline establishes the center point of the 2.697 dia. "small" ball.

Plainly, this could be reduced to some handy formula, which I will leave to someone else to do ;) .

John

Given a 12" diameter ball, the ball diameter that will fit is 3.464101. Calculator for this is located at:

http://www.1728.com/polygon.htm

Formula:
r = .5 * s * Cotangent(180/n)
r = .5 * s * Cotan(180/3)
= s * .28868
n = is the number of sides
R = radius of big ball ball
r = radius of small ball (inscribed circle)
s = is the length of each side (for n=3, R = s!)

SmokepoleSC

I think this same process could be calculated using a compass, triangle and precision CE scale.

I mean... you know...

Assuming 2.697" is correct, wouldn't the formula simply be D multiplied by .22475 where D is the diameter of the big balls?

2.697/12 being .22475. Seems like the proportion would always remain constant. Though it's hard to type when I'm constantly blinded by these flashes of insight.

John is correct.
In paraphrase.
The centers of the four balls define a tetrahedron, 12 inches on any edge.
Establishing a plane with the centers of any two balls and the centroid of said tetrahedron, allows one to draw the two 12" dia circles, and determine that a third circle centered on the centroid, and tangent to the 12s is 2.696938" dia.

Now is the time to remember the tall tale of the brass monkey that stored cannon balls. ( as in cold enough to freeze the balls off of)

If anybody cares, any dihedral of said tetrahedron is 70.528779 deg.

Ag

[ 05-15-2007, 11:06 AM: Message edited by: agrip ]

I think a picture is worth a 1000 words. From the math that I did, I believe that johnoder is correct. This image was created using 3 12" diameter spheres and a 2.697" diameter sphere. I hope this helps a little.
AutoDesk Inventor is great!

Brian :D
CannonBall.jpg

The center ball is larger than just calculating the 3 tangents between the larger spheres. As the smaller sphere grows to contact all 4 larger spheres it's center moves away from plane created by any 3 spheres.

Brian

Back