What's new

Barrel Block et al.

• Thread starter JMPaton
  • Start date
  • Replies 7
  • Views 7,826
J

JMPaton

Is there any info available on making/putting together a Barrel Block?

Anything you should be made aware of when embarking on such an endeavor?

Do you account for the barrel taken by the block and measure the effective Barrel from the end of the Block?

Just curious, as I feel this may be a really accurate/stable launching platform.

google barrel block and you'll get all the info you need.

Accurate they are. Makes for an ugly rifle too.

But as an aside, you rarely see them on bench rest guns..... return to battery guns yes.

And the difference in accuracy is actually quite small.

Steve,
Here are some comments from Bruce Baer on 6mmbr.com

"Barrels can be conventionally fitted into a receiver, or clamped into a barrel bedding block. Bruce Baer explains: "The barrel bedding block is a very good system, well worth the money. With this set-up the action is essentially free-floated, and it becomes just a fire-control unit. The block also aids with vibration control. The block dampens vibration and effectively shortens the barrel in terms of its vibration properties. We've found that a barrel block system is cost-effective--you don't need a big oversize custom action with a lot of bedding surface. A barrel-block rig is also easier to work on. It's a unit that a guy can put together more quickly since there's no bedding to worry about. He can change barreled actions quicker."

See http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek057.html

I found an article in Precision Shooting. PM your address ind I will copy and send to you, along with some pictures of my bench rifle's blocks.

I'm a "charter member" of 6BR.com...

Bruce is correct, I did not say barrel blocks don't work, I said they do....

They are ugly.... not allowed in some forms of competition and in my experience don't shoot much better (if any) than a good glue in...

They do greatly aid a "factory" action as it pretty much takes the bedding issue out of the equation.

I've built several dozen of them on everything from Ruger 10/22s to Stolle Pandas..

Steve,
I hear you say they are ugly.
I hear you say they are not allowed in some forms of competition.

I really like the fact that as an inexpensive option I may be able to shoot better because of this system. I don't have to buy a Panda until later. I don't have to rely on someone else doing a Glue-in..and it really doesn't matter what kind of action.
I want to see guys like myself enjoy a sport that is less subject to money or prejudice.

I have them on 1.450 diameter barrels, the blocks as long as 15". They are made in two pieces, lots of socket head cap screws and with scopes mounted on the top of the block.
I have made them from one piece, bored the hole and slit the block to allow clamping.
You can make them look pretty nice if you radius the corners and cut a very close fitting hole in the stock for the block.
They are somewhat popular with the 1000 yard Benchrest crowd that use Remingtons to hang the big 1.350 and 1.450 barrels. That is just too much barrel to have hanging on the short Rem barrel thread tenon. And you can forget the recoil lug when using a block.

Back