What's new
What's new

Krag Front sight removal

Gazz

Stainless
I picked up a barrel stub from a Krag rifle and want to remove the front sight base and put it on the "carbine" that I have. I have seen the front sight basses for sale on eBay before and it looked like they were sweat soldered in place. I got that stub red hot and tried to pluck the base off with a pair of pliers but no luck. After the stub cooled, I could see a fine line all the way around the base, like it might be a very tight fitting dovetail. Has anybody ever taken one of these things off? What is the secret? Thanks!

Gazz

If they are attached the same way as the 45-70 Trapdoor (very likely) they were dovetailed and silver brazed on before the outside of the barrel was finished. And probably put on even before the barrel was rifled since the heat necessary to braze would not have been good for the barrel.

Hope this helps.

Ray

After looking at it a bit more, I believe you are correct Ray. When I get it back to the shop, I will cut a way the top of barrel on each end of the sight base to remove the dovetail protions and then try heating and tugging again. I should be able to pull it straight away with the ends of the dovetail cut off.

Back