What's new
What's new

7.62 X 39 Bolt Action Kit

deltaenterprizes

Stainless
I was told Numerich Arms had a kit to convert a small ring Mauser action that consisted of a barrel,follower and block for the magazine but I can't find it on the web site.Anyone know anything about this?

heres one i have done a time or two. a sks pinned type barrel in a carcano. by threading the sks barrel end to 3/4x20tpi then make a threaded bushing to fit the rec. and the sks barrel.then a lock nut to lock the sks barrel to the bushing.so you can set the headspace just like the savage 110 that way you don't need a reamer. the 762x39 round fits the carcano bolt real nice the only down side is that the 762 is a bit to short to feed from the clip so on the ones that i did i made a single shot ramp with a spring loaded finger to help start the round up in to the extractor hope that helps some

They also make a chamber insert to use in a 308/7.62 nato chamber. A friend had one in a FR7 rifle...which is a 96 action built into a rifle that was made to fire a lower pressure ctg. of the same exact dims of 7.62 nato. Many people think they are 308's but that was not the original intent.

anyway the insert seemed to work ok in that rifle for single shot use. It was designed to be glued in with loctite I belive.

will,
i think what you meant to say is "the 7.62 nato is the same dims as teh 308 win, except it's lower pressure "
which is accurate, and why the cetme rifles go off headspace when you runn <200 rounds though them

7.62mm NATO(7.62x51) and .308Win are exactly the same cartridge at the same SAMMI specs. They are loaded to the same pressures. There are some dimension variations in Machine Gun Chambers due to the full auto and open bolt firing. Any firearm chambered for one can fire the other without any problems. If a weapon goes off headspace firing the standard round, usally that would indicate that the materiels where inproperly heat treated or wrong materiel. Since NATO was formed all the weapons and ammo of all countries in NATO must be capable of interchanging within each caliber. For example a French 7.62mm rifle must safely function with USA 7.62mm ammo.

I meant what abarnes said :).

The 7.62 NATO is not EXACTLY the same ctg. as 308 winchestor...they are very similar. The same situation exists with 5.56 and 223....many chambers and throats in the sporting versions of the similar NATO chamber will give higher pressures than the nato chamber/throat will.

Bill

I don't understand why anyone would want to convert to the 7.62 X 39 MM cartridge? It's ballistics are terrible (comparable to the Winchester 30-30) with limited accuracy and energy beyond 250 yards.
Now a conversion to the NATO 7.62 or Win. .308 would be worth the time & money.

Lots of ammo and components,low recoil,pleasant to shoot,don't have to chase brass like a semi auto,more accurate than semi auto,not many bolt action 30-30s out there,nice caliber for children and small framed woman like my wife,inexpensive project gun,I had one offered to me and wanted to know the cost of the kit,I don't have one,already have five .308 win rifles

OK you got me on the cheap brass, low recoil, mild caliber for children, and small wife.

I am a long range shooter and am always thinking past 600 yards with most guns I buy, except the .50 Alaskan and .45-70.

I built one on a 1894 Brazilian contract small ring action made by FN. When I got the kit I was disappointed in the barrel for 2 reasons. One was the contour looked like it had been done by 2 guys. One starting at the muzzle and the other at the breech. There was this small whooptie halfway along the length. Second was that while the grooves appeared nice and smooth, the lands looked like they had sawteeth!

I turned out the whooptie on the barrel so that problem was gone. And VERY unexpectedly was the way it shot. Superbly! I shoot cast 90% of the time and this thing was a shooter, par excellance.

The rifle:

standard.jpg

Tee other parts in the kit (Follower) was plastic, and the spring was simply the spring out of a magazine body (apparently). Finally the spacer block was simply a mildly shaped piece of white nylon. They all worked just fine.

standard.jpg

I didn't like the plastic follower so it got tossed and I cut down the original steel one. I then soldered on a piece of brass to take up the windage between the original 7x57 and the smaller 7.62x39 case OD's (30 Rooski Shortski). The supplied plastic one works great, it just went against the grain.

You can see the spacer in the photo. It WILL move forward under recoil and tie up the ammo/follower. Drill and countersink a hole through the rear of the magazine housing and simply screw in a wood screw. That takes care of that.

Another modification I recommend is an extension on the ejector (see photo). It's originally designed to eject the much longer 7x57 case. The shorter one can rebound back into the action, or get sideways jammed under the action bridge. The extension finger prods it out of the boltface earlier so it clears through the ejection port without issue. I made no mods to the extractor as it works fine, yours may not. If not too bad :). You have some welding and grinding ahead of you. I did nothing to the boltface.

standard.jpg

I jeweled the bolt, added the rear apurture sight and MiG welded on a new bolt handle. The barrel I got from Gun Parts was very tightly chambered. All I did was to screw it on the action. On the breechface in 1/16" numbers it is stamped 7.62x39. The raised metal from this caused the bolt to drag so I had to polish off a bit of the face of the left (long)lug.

Since these barrels are cut .300x.308 I do not recomment you shoot any surplus or factory ammo loaded with .310/.311, or .312" slugs. Especially not in an older small ring action. Some load data shown for the 7.62x39 shows pressures in excess of 52K. Couple that with a slug a few thousandths over groove and you may stress something. These are only recommendations. I don't want ot get involved in the relative strength merits of the small ring vs large ring actions. Suffice it to say I would not barrel a surplus large ring 98 type action to 300 Win mag either, as is commonly done. Just me.

Rick

Have appox. 1000 7.62X39 Rem. unfired cases for sale in case anyone is interested. They have the small primer pocket. $160 + shipping $8.10 flat rate box. PM me

Back