What's new
What's new

80% 1911 frames?

I'm pretty new to guns and shooting but have rapidly developed a strong interest. For various reasons, I've developed a particular interest in the "80% lower receiver", which seem to be available all over the place.

Has anyone here built a gun from one of these 80% frames? Specifically a 1911 .45 ACP?

Are 1911's generally standard enough that slide, barrel, trigger, etc, etc are pretty much universal?

I have a Ruger SR1911, which is the only 1911 I've handled enough to be familiar with. Using that as an example, would Ruger components be usable on one of these 80% frames once it's fully machined?

Next major question: So far, all of the 80% frames I've seen have a jig available intended for use without a mill. Suppose you DO have a mill, as I guess most here do - I do, an old round-ram Bport - does anyone know of specs, instructions, or even a jig intended for use with a mill?

I'm pretty hot to trot to build a 1911 using one of these 80% frames but am overwhelmed by the choices and don't want a half-assed result using essentially a makeshift method. Would love to hear input from you all here.

I've built two of them. It's a fun project. Most of them are close enough to standard that they will work with standard parts and minor fitting.

If you have a mill all you should need to do is drill the sear and hammer holes, machine the top of the slide down to spec and cut the rails.

I just finished an 80% 1911 frame and did it all on the mill without a jig. I consider myself an amateur machinist so if you know what you are doing with a mill then you should have no problem. Not all 80% frames are the same and some require some steps that others don't.

Thanks for the replies, fellas!

I didn't say that I know what I'm doing with a mill, just that I have one... LOL!

When finishing your frame, did you use an existing 1911 frame to measure? I could do that using my Ruger SR1911 for reference.

I'm considering a kit from 1911 Builders, such as the one in this link:

1911 8% OFFICER BUILD KIT 3" .45 ACP. RAMPED BARREL FRAME W/CHECKERED | 1911 Builders

This would be intended as an "every day carry" piece; so I'm thinking an aluminum frame would be nice. I'm not totally confident in its durability as compared to 4140 or the 416 stainless, however. Thoughts on that? Aluminum would sure be nicer to machine than stainless, that much is for sure.

I confess that I am having a bit of a hard time swallowing the prices from this outfit. Kits are pretty complete, but the prices are pretty strong...

There is no need to pay those prices for 1911 parts. Check out Numrich (Gun Parts), or even Sarco for the parts to assemble your gun. Amherst Depot also carries quality parts at reasonable prices. While you are at it, check the prices for finished frames from Sarco. Unless you are interested in the challenge, or if you are a convicted felon, the 80% frames don't make much sense. Regards, Clark

There is no need to pay those prices for 1911 parts. Check out Numrich (Gun Parts), or even Sarco for the parts to assemble your gun. Amherst Depot also carries quality parts at reasonable prices. While you are at it, check the prices for finished frames from Sarco. Unless you are interested in the challenge, or if you are a convicted felon, the 80% frames don't make much sense. Regards, Clark

Thanks for the alternatives!

Thanks for the replies, fellas!

I didn't say that I know what I'm doing with a mill, just that I have one... LOL!

When finishing your frame, did you use an existing 1911 frame to measure? I could do that using my Ruger SR1911 for reference.

Yes, I used a Colt 1991 as a reference.

I'm considering a kit from 1911 Builders, such as the one in this link:

1911 8% OFFICER BUILD KIT 3" .45 ACP. RAMPED BARREL FRAME W/CHECKERED | 1911 Builders

This would be intended as an "every day carry" piece; so I'm thinking an aluminum frame would be nice. I'm not totally confident in its durability as compared to 4140 or the 416 stainless, however. Thoughts on that? Aluminum would sure be nicer to machine than stainless, that much is for sure.

I confess that I am having a bit of a hard time swallowing the prices from this outfit. Kits are pretty complete, but the prices are pretty strong...

I also did a Sig 229 80% frame that was aluminum and for the amount of machining that needs to be done the stainless 1911 wasn't any more difficult.
Also look at gun broker.

This is exactly why it's so attractive to me. I'm not interested in igniting a debate or argument about the guvmint. Suffice to say that having a weapon or two that isn't on a registry seems like a very good idea to me.
However it is still on record who originally purchased the 80 percent so unless you do it in cash there's still proof you had one at one time

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk

However it is still on record who originally purchased the 80 percent

I wouldn't say for sure either way, it depends on how gung ho the anti's are in searching records, plus if it isn't a "gun" there is no requirement for record keeping.

Talk in a forum may be enough for true communist's to follow up on. If that were the case the streets would run red rivers for all the talk.

BTW I have a friend who may have made a gun from a 1911 Builder's frame. He said the AR 80% lowers take 1/10 the precision required. Again, the uppers are not considered guns so there is no paperwork, shouldn't be anyway.

I built an 80% 1911 when SARCO was selling the paperweight frames for $25.00. Slide was a rough casting from then, parts kit was also theirs. They have frames and builders kits available for far less money than above kits.

Plenty of detailed drawings available on the web. I used this set;

http://www.weaponeer.net/uploads/files/25652/1911_complete_blueprints.PDF

It does help to have a 1911 available to check fit of parts as they are machined.

I built an 80% 1911 when SARCO was selling the paperweight frames for $25.00. Slide was a rough casting from then, parts kit was also theirs. They have frames and builders kits available for far less money than above kits.

Plenty of detailed drawings available on the web. I used this set;

http://www.weaponeer.net/uploads/files/25652/1911_complete_blueprints.PDF

It does help to have a 1911 available to check fit of parts as they are machined.

Extremely helpful!

Hi All....
When I build one Sarco was the best and easiest (for me) for a complete internals kit. Slide and barrel from other sources. The most trouble I've had was with the sights, the rear being too low.

Back