What's new
What's new

80% AR-15 Lower Receivers, LR-308 Receivers

Yankee Metallic

Hot Rolled
Many of you gun afficionados know what an 80% AR-15 lower is.
While the following question has been posted on specific firearm web sites, many sporting men don't have the machining ability or equipment to finish these AR-15's.

Since many have discovered that the BATFE allows the personal manufacture of AR type rifles, for personal use (non-resale) finding 80% lowers have been difficult.
Have any machinists on this board been interested in a $120 80% AR lower but could not find one?
Can you chime in if you are interested in a 80% AR 308 (DPMS compatible) priced around $140? I am trying to get a feel for the market with machinists on this board.
Shipping would be around $15 via UPS.

Please no thread crapper's, but I am eager to hear if there is enough interest in the marketplace.
A MAJOR manufacturer for complete and 80% AR-15 lower receivers has just been busted by the BATFE for bribing a defense contractor. I have a feeling this may open up the 80% market.

Last edited:
Thanks Butch-
I have a BA in Business Admin ( Patent App's, Trademarks, etc.)
I am not polling for business advice, I've done the homework.
Looking for interest in the marketplace.
I won't be using this site for advertising or to sell them
Thanks-

Yeah, I'd been interested in an AR-10 lower (80%) for about $150 or so. Let me know if you produce them.

Many of you gun afficionados know what an 80% AR-15 lower is.
While the following question has been posted on specific firearm web sites, many sporting men don't have the machining ability or equipment to finish these AR-15's.

Since many have discovered that the BATFE allows the personal manufacture of AR type rifles, for personal use (non-resale) finding 80% lowers have been difficult.
Have any machinists on this board been interested in a $120 80% AR lower but could not find one?
Can you chime in if you are interested in a 80% AR 308 (DPMS compatible) priced around $140? I am trying to get a feel for the market with machinists on this board.
Shipping would be around $15 via UPS.

Please no thread crapper's, but I am eager to hear if there is enough interest in the marketplace.
A MAJOR manufacturer for complete and 80% AR-15 lower receivers has just been busted by the BATFE for bribing a defense contractor. I have a feeling this may open up the 80% market.

The AR 308 I would be interested in. I'm not too hot on anything in .223, but I've wanted one of thoce 308s since they first came out. Just can't find the scratch for one. The machine work is my living for the last 28 years, so de nada. You can message me on the forum.

Problems with the 308 AR's... NOT A CA friendly rifle.

Not mil spec, every maker does it different, Many parts do not interchange.

Still a poor design... Even more gas going into action to gum up bolt, and anneal ejector plunger spring, Weak barrel to upper interface, Can't use a folding stock.

An AR in .308, weighs what a real rifle does.

Can make an OK target rifle, but just about anything else can too..

Clearing a jam, requires dropping from shoulder to pull rear mounted charging handle.

M1A or FAL... Heck even a HK, are better designs..

I can buy a .223 stripped lower for under 100.00, why make one???

No fear of a serial number here...

30 years working on thousands of AR's...

Tell me how is an AR15 lower different than an AR 308 lower? Mag Box?
I didn't go to college, but I do have 3 successful business'. One of them is 32yrs old, one is 11yrs old, and the other is 7yrs old. I will give you this, I may have made more money going to college.
As I said, good luck with your venture.
Butch

Tell me how is an AR15 lower different than an AR 308 lower? Mag Box?...Butch

From the exterior they look pretty much the same, except like you said, the magwell is larger. On the interior everything is a bit larger. The Bolt carrier group is heavier, heavier buffer, buffer spring stronger. While the AR-15's are a dime a dozen, fewer shooters have the AR in .308.
Some of the respondents are from Texas and Alaska. I envy you and your gun laws. Kalifornia government sucks but I don't want to get into that here! Luckily I am way up north and by the Nevada border. If I didn't have family in this area I would be gone too.
The benefit to completing your own AR lower is that you DO NOT HAVE to apply a serial #, or even register it. That's a big thing in Kalifornia. It's not terribly difficult to get an AR-15 80% completed, but the 308 versions are more difficult. If a rifle is black, it must be evil, even worse if it can have a bayonet attached to it.
Butch- I respect the fact that you own your own businesses. 32 years is quite successful. I was merely making my point that I have my own business and don't walk blindly into ventures even as small as this. ... And having a college degree likely would not make you any richer if you own your own businesses.
CHEERS:cheers:

I would rather have a 80% AR-10 type lower than the DPMS type. The DPMS type can be cut from an AR-10 type, but not vice versa.

$140 for a tacticalmachining.com type 80%er sounds reasonable to me. I goofed up a couple ar-10 type forgings from 7.62SASS.com, so an 80%er seems more my speed.

My input, I can buy a AR15 stripped low receiver for 150 to 160 bucks and just put my parts in it. A 308 lower is a different story, the last time I checked they were about 250 to 300 bucks, so that may be a good way to go. but also the price has been coming down. I have a LR308, it's about three pounds heavier than a AR15 but so is a M14, It is the most reliable gas gun, it always works and it shoots better than most rack grade M1A's, I have already seen a M1A blow up in the face of a shooter, and I also seen an AR15 blow up - the M1A stuck a piece of the bolt in the shooters face, the AR15 just blown out the bottom of the mag and stuck the bolt in the extension, the shooter didn't even have a scratch. I have seen pictures of a SR25 that came apart, the shooter still came out without a scratch. Stoners design is a good design and I'll continune to use it, when things do happen to these rifles - all designs, is likely caused by improper reloading. One last word, CA does have some screwed up laws, building your own 308 would be the way to go.

80% AR-15 Lower Receivers & Jigs

Here are a couple links that might help! If there out of stock, just check back in a couple weeks and they'll be back up. They also carry jigs, but if you have a mill, there not needed. Any technical questions, I would refer you to Kevin Collins, he was a designer at DPMS and is a member here! He knows what he's talking about and is a great guy!!! :)

Tactical Machining

AR-15 Jigs - Home

You can have AR-10 lower receivers in California, they just have to be ones that are not specifically listed by CA as banned. Armalite is banned, but Noveske is not. I bought a Noveske N6 308 lower receiver right here in CA, from a licensed FFL, without any trouble. There are other makers for the AR-10 design that are available in California. This will help you understand the rules.

CalGuns Foundation AW Flowchart

OR

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

- Phil

Best way at the present is to go to the Tactical Machining website and get what you want ordered. I did a big order with them today and within about an hour it was actually on the FedEx truck headed this way. Exceptional service to say the least.

They have been out of almost everything for weeks on end so as soon as I saw things back in stock I jumped on them.

tim

Back