What's new
What's new

Layout fluid alternative..

The chemicals. PVC primer has some nasty stuff in it. Also, I doubt PVC primer would give enough contrast for some scribes.

If you're in a pinch, might try nail polish. Probably more expensive, but my nose says it's likely the same chemicals.

NOTE: No, I don't USE nail polish personally, just smelled it a time or two... ;)

Marker

For small work or just a spot location, I use a sharpie marker. Many colors available to stand out on different materiels and they dont spill in your tool box.

What is the difference between Oatey Purple Primer For CPVC or PVC and Dykem Blue layout fluid..?

Besides the color, I think there is more pigment in the Dykem.

Cool.

Many thanks guys.

Off to Mcfadden Dale tonight to get some real stuff.

My buddy is using his girlfriends lipstick but I'm trying to resist being that alternative...lol.

:D

If your layout dye is flaking off,it's because you did not get all the oil off of the metal surface. Clean carefully with acetone to make the dye not flake off.

For small areas, the extra-wide blue sharpie marker gives a result that
cannot be distinguished from the real deal.

Won't spill either.

Jim

If you keep the blue too long, it will lose the color and then might be useable as a PVC primer. It is worthless as layout blue at that point.

The red does not seem to have that problem.

Buddy's girlfriend's lipstick...

If you use your buddy's girlfriend's lipstick...

And you can't tell it from Dykem...

Your buddy has a SERIOUS problem with pickin' girlfriends...

my guess would be the PVC stuff is nothing more than acetone. The dye is used to leave a witness mark that the pipe was cleaned.

Speaking of lipstick, When I've misplaced my Hi-Spot, I use my wife's lipstick for fitting stocks. I apply a thin coat to the metal with a Q-Tip. Doesn't matter what shade, they all leave a nice mark on the wood, and aren't absorbed.
Paul

Back