What's new
What's new

9mm Cartridge Chambering

Nov8er

Plastic
Hello to the Practical Machinist community. I want to ask a real quick question related to chambering. What countersink or drill bit size should I use to chamber a 9mm cartridge, with the biggest diameter of .392in (casing) and length of .754in (casing)?

A chamber reamer would be the best way to cut a chamber in a barrel blank. If you are asking about predrilling before reaming, I dont think it will be necessary on a 9mm chamber just cut it with the reamer. Qualify the chamber with a go and no go gauge

I'm inclined to believe someone isn't on the up and up here, or at least not at all an adult. Gonna steer clear of this before I hear about another dipshit on the evening news.

I'm inclined to believe someone isn't on the up and up here, or at least not at all an adult. Gonna steer clear of this before I hear about another dipshit on the evening news.

Im sorry about that Hardned. Just wanting to learn here like everyone else.

If your making A single shot zip gun you can use a drill and hope the case doesn't burst when fired. All center fire cartridges are tapered (draft) so that when fired in the tapered chamber they are easily extracted. If they were straight, the first time a shell was fired it would be stuck in the chamber and would have to
Be hammered out from the muzzle with a rod. You can bore the taper in the 9 mm varrel with a boring bar feeding with the compound.

When I was a kid,everyone knew what size drillbit would make a workable 22 rimfire chamber in a zipgun.9MM is a very high pressure cartridge,and would blow up in your face for sure with a drillbit chamber.Regards John.

9mm Parabellum uses a tapered case and headspaces on the case mouth, so a straight chamber like you would get with a drill would not headspace if drilled big enough for the back of the case to fit or would not accept the cartridge if drilled small enough to headspace.

As others here have mentioned, the 9x19mm parabellum tapers from 9.03 to 9.96. So if machining the chamber in a lathe, drill it about 8.9mm, 17mm deep and then bore to size.

The first gunsmithing book I read the author described making wild cat chambers with shop made D bits. Very workable technology that has been around since the 1940s, probably goes way back.
If I needed a 9mm chamber, I might be inclined to single point the whole thing on one of our CNCs. The program would not take a 1/2 hour to write.

I am thinking the op has no machining background therefore doesn't understand the difference between a drill and reamer. Similar to customers asking me to mill the dia of a shaft down.
I sincerely hope the question isn't related to a smooth bore single shot pipe.

Many years,as a young shooter,I spent all my savings on a .22Hornet rifle.First shot,the case had to be rodded out of the chamber.The dipstick who owned it had converted it to "Improved Hornet" with a drillbit.Drillbit chambers dont work,unless you only need one shot.Regards John.

Back