What's new
What's new

Acer trump 1236c

Bamban

Plastic
Here is another lathe I am looking at, unfortunately no information on the error net could be had. Any of you guys ever ran this particular ACER model. I am looking to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly about this model for gunsmithing.

Thank you.

Never heard of that model, I assume the lathe is a 12" swing with 36" between centers. From what the professionals that hang around here say that is too small especially if you do any work between centers. That said if you are just doing occasional work for yourself almost anything will do. My 2 manual lathes are 9X24 South Bend and a HLV-H. For a pro 14X48 seems to be recomended most often. With imported lathes quality can be good or terrible, seems a hands on inspection is the only way to know.

Never heard of that model, I assume the lathe is a 12" swing with 36" between centers. From what the professionals that hang around here say that is too small especially if you do any work between centers. That said if you are just doing occasional work for yourself almost anything will do. My 2 manual lathes are 9X24 South Bend and a HLV-H. For a pro 14X48 seems to be recomended most often. With imported lathes quality can be good or terrible, seems a hands on inspection is the only way to know.

Thank you.

It is 36 between centers and 12 swing. Just trying to learn to do the job myself. I checked it out today and asked the seller to do test (cuts and threading, and noise) for me based on recommendation from friends, all checked out. Made in Taiwan in 1991 complete with steady rest, 3J and 4J chucks, Aloris AXA and tool holders, Travadial, and lots of 1/2 cutters, both indexable and brazed on (I assumed brazed tips) Original owner used in a model shop I was told.

Hope it will get me through the learning curve. I am not a machinist nor a gunsmith, just an old trigger puller willing to learn new tricks.

Having a travadial on a lathe is a huge asset. I have used them in production machining for years. Can not say enough good things about them. If all checks out it may be a good choice for you. You can do just about anything on a small lathe. You just have to plan more carefully to do good work. Hole size through the spindle is important especially if you do fat target barrels. Others here may have more experience as to minimum required. I threaded my dad's 1917 Enfield through the spindle on the South Bend with a 3/4" hole but it stuck out a little.

Back