What's new
What's new

Air-Rifle Blueprints

Have you sorted out your plans yet. If you wish to go for a pheumatic (pump up) or pre charged from a dive bottle design, I can help. A friend in the UK has published plans and build notes.

If you are interested in building a pneumatic airgun, the book you want to get is "The Modern Pneumatic Airgun" by H.M. Buckley. It is self-published in the UK and very hard to come by in the states. I ordered my copy from [email protected], which takes credit card orders from the USA. I haven't started on the project, but the book is almost 200 pages of high quality, detailed instructions and drawings.

My book is the same as mentioned above, It is very good and will enable you to build a good single shot (ie no magazine) rifle on a small Myford 4 1/2" type lathe. I am well into the project bulding 4 rifles (one for me, one for my son, one in left hand for a friend and one to sell)#
if you have trouble with geting the book let me know.
Peter

Hi Occelot
have tried to get through to your email address but without success, I dont quite understand what you want from me. Do you want a copy of the manual, if so it is 100 or so pages long so it would be easier and cheaper to buy your own. if it is a rifle you want, then fine but you will have to wait until its finished!
Peter

Hey folks, been awhile since I was here, had to re-up under a new name since I lost my old login info. Thanks for the info, I'm going to try and find the book Peter mentioned, it sounds like it's just what I was looking for.

"THE MODERN PNEUMATIC AIRGUN – A PRACTICAL STEP BY STEP GUIDE TO BUILDING YOUR OWN" by H. M. Buckley must be the best airgun construction book out there. It covers almost everything from the trigger mechanism build to finishes, & the technical drawings cover every part of the build.
Once I get a better understanding of safe wall thicknesses & suitable metal types/strengths for the parts of an airgun that contain the high pressure gas I'll start up a project myself.
I got the book from gunbooks.co.uk. Not cheap but definately worth the cash.

i recently came across an interesting peice, gamo makes a PPK air pistol that uses blowback. apon taking it apart, the frame and slide are actual but modified PPk parts. i belive with some modification, stronger springs and a barrel i can modify it to shoot .22 short or .22 lr. im not sure how much it would set me back but it would be an interesting project. also checkout www.xinventions.com look at some of there pnumatic rifle/ cannon plans. i had sucess scaling them down to make a hi powered .22 pellet gun using a .22 barrel insert from numrich gun parts. i havent cronoed it yet but it has the same muzzle crack as a .22 rifle so it has to shoot atleast 1500 fps i suppose you could scale it down to .177 and get even higher speeds. ps i used paintball gun CO2 tanks for the air source, and the boltaction design from the sniper version (i theik its the P.A.C 3 or 4) i machined the parts out of aluminum and brass.

How are the air gun projects going? I am looking for some plans myself.

thecostimizer:

It would be interesting to know what it is really chronographing. The speed of sound is 1080 fps at sea leavel at one atmosphere. A 22 LR high velosity standard is about 1300fps. They develope about 18,000 cup preasure in a rifle. CO2 expanding from a liquid to a gas alpne can not achieve that kind of pressure. Nitrogen comes in a full tank about 5,000 psi. The speed of sound with compressed air or other gasses is about the top of the velocity chart unless you have found some way to super compress oneof these gasses. During the earlie 1800s there were gass guns developed that worked off burning powder. They havd a reserve tank and shot large bore round balls. In fact Lewis and clark had one on their expedition and took Grizzly bears and elk with it.
There was an article in American Rifleman back in the late 1950's about these guns. I have seen references made to them several times since. I believe that one of these guns is in the Smithsonian(sp) and another at the Springfield Armory museum.
Rustystud

Most precharged pneumatic air guns and some spring guns can exceed sonic velocity at sea level. Firearms do not maintain the chamber pressure as the bullet travels up the barrel. PCP air guns can maintain essentially full pressure until the pellet exits the barrel. If you ever hear one fire, it is about as loud as a .22. See
http://www.airgundepot.com/airforce-air-rifles-22.html

RWO

" i havent cronoed it yet but it has the same muzzle crack as a .22 rifle so it has to shoot atleast 1500 fps i suppose you could scale it down to .177 and get even higher speeds. ps i used paintball gun CO2 tanks for the air source,"

If you are using CO2 for the power source, about the best you can get under optimum conditions is a little over 800 FPS. Better minds than mine have explained it, but the basics is that you cannot get speeds in excess of the supersonic velocity of the gas that you are using, as that is the finite limit of speed available. CO2 is relatively slow, air faster, nitrogen a bit more, and helium is very fast. CO2 has the further limitation that the gas self limits it's pressure in that it liquifies above a set point (varies with temperature, but around 950 psi+/-). Dumping more CO2 will make more noise, but not improve performance.
There have been some VERY fast helium airguns built for laboratory work, where extreme pressures were placed behind the projectile, while a vacuum was pulled in the area in front. Not real practical for backyard shooting, but it was done.

Some of the guys frequenting the aigun forums have played with helium, got good speed, but it's expensive, and has issues with sealing.

Most guys use high pressure air, because it's cheap and available. SCUBA tanks can be filled easilly in most areas, and hand pumps are available that will get to the 3000 psi range if you are willing to do the work.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

I tried gunbooks.co.uk, but they're out of stock on the "THE MODERN PNEUMATIC AIRGUN". Any other sources?

Thanks,

John

Ok the ticket is a Fifty cal. air rifle!! Compressed air charged to around 800 psi. Whole lotta work but well well worth the effort. You can order a high psi air hand pump over the internet for around $200.

Their are two chambers in it and it is difficult for me to explain but I will try my best. There are two chambers one holds all the pressers from the dry ice reacting with water and the other is for holding small amounts that are ready to fire with the bullet this eliminates the need for reloading the gas it works like a potato gun just much smaller.

Back