What's new
What's new

Blasting Media

stevep

Plastic
Needing to match Remingtons stainless finish. Just got me a new HF blaster and was wondering what media to use on brakes to make them match factory finish.

beads

I use glass beads from Cyclone and they seem to match the SS really nice.
I use it when I add on a SS brake, and it's hard to tell it's not factory......

Just take it to a local bodyshop that strips old cars. I can get mine blasted for $10 and not suffer the potential exposure to silicosis from the blast media. More body shops seem to be blasting these days since the interest in obsolete cars seems to be high.

I kind of fiquired glass beads but was wondering what grit or size has worked best for you guys. I have never purchsed beads just aluminum oxide in 120 grit for preping before painting actions and I guessed beads were sold in size or grit of some kind.

Thanks
Steve

I kind of fiquired glass beads but was wondering what grit or size has worked best for you guys. I have never purchsed beads just aluminum oxide in 120 grit for preping before painting actions and I guessed beads were sold in size or grit of some kind.

Thanks
Steve

http://www.caswellplating.com/aids/cyclone/blmedia.htm

I get some plating and finishing products from Caswell, this page shows the grits that they have available. I also get glass bead at HF (80-120gr if I remember correctly).
Glass bead breaks down quite quickly and gets finer as you use it. It needs to be replaced more frequently than other media.
I also mix a little baking soda in mine to help keep it dry.

Gentlemen,

A quick question. What is wrong with using alumina? If the worry is about embedded abraisive, don't wory, a good long soak in hot sodium hydroxide or even sodium carbonate solution will disolve alumina off stainless.

Kevinthree,
I aggree wholeheartedly with your aproach. In theory you only get silicosis from crystalline silica, not from glass, but i wouldn't be wanting to get ANY un-necessary dust exposure, and $10 is a cheap way to avoid it.

best of luck
Keith

Back