What's new
What's new

All about barrel blocks

THSGB

Plastic
I was wondering if anybody has information they would like to share about barrel blocks. The making of, installation, use, benefits, pics, etc of these. I'm interested in them for benchrest and hunting rifles. Thanks.

I am referring to barrel blocks in front of the action that are around the barrel and bedded into the stock.

I am referring to barrel blocks in front of the action that are around the barrel and bedded into the stock.

I'd suggest asking your question on benchrest central or maybe accurate shooter. The subject has been discussed quite a bit over the years on benchrest central so a search there should find some info.

You mean sleeves clamped between action and barrel to give both floated barrel and floated action? Or something to give additional recoil bedding for super magnum rifles?

I have had my hands on a couple. From the 50's and 60's. Heavy. Unlimited class. Accomplished a bit of machining on both. Action and barrel float.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

OK, I refer to those as bedding blocks. That style works only with cylindrical barrels. I have done one which is cylindrical instead of rectangular and is clamped by the barrel to the front of the action. I will post a pic of mine later.

700MatchRifle1Half.jpg

This has advantages and disadvantages. Depending on your stocking requirements, I think the newer Chassis/Tube stocks such as the Eliseo are a better solution.

Last edited:
:-) No, it is a 1.25" Hart blank that was too heavy so I fluted it for weight reduction. Even that was not enough to fix the balance problem so I eventually put about 2.5 lbs of lead in the butt just in front of the butt plate. So it weighs about 16 lbs now and is only suitable as a prone or rest gun. There is a bloop tube on the right to push the front sight farther away from my aging eyes so I can focus on it easier.

OK, I refer to those as bedding blocks. That style works only with cylindrical barrels. I have done one which is cylindrical instead of rectangular and is clamped by the barrel to the front of the action. I will post a pic of mine later.

700MatchRifle1Half.jpg

This has advantages and disadvantages. Depending on your stocking requirements, I think the newer Chassis/Tube stocks such as the Eliseo are a better solution.

Is your block sandwiched between the barrel and receiver, replacing the recoil lug? Is the receiver floating and only the block is attached to the stock? It is unclear from the photo.

Yes, the sleeve is also the recoil lug and is bedded about 25% around on the bottom and 50% at the back. So in addition to floating both barrel and action, there is little opportunity for bending of the recoil lug. The sleeve is 4" long and about .250" wall thickness which makes it very strong with little deflection but also quite heavy. Probably heavier than necessary but it was the first one I did that way.

Darrell Holland does or did do a V block bedding system, I remember seeing it years ago. I could not find much info after a brief search but was able to find an image. This might be more suitable for a hunting firearm. bedding.jpg

Because of the additional weight, I question how appropriate this technique would be for a hunting rifle. I am not convinced the incremental accuracy would justify the weight increment.

I have a few vids on YouTube on making some bbl blocks, Im getting ready to build another to the customers specs. PM if youd like.............SKI

I am using a block that will be glue in with a scope rail machined in the top for a bullpup style gun. How long of barrel are you using?

Back