What's new
What's new

Altering a fluted SS .22 barrel by filing flats between flutes.

stoneaxe

Stainless
No idea if this is a bad notion or not-
I have a GM SS 20" .22 LR barrel, nicely tapered with flutes. I was thinking about filing the area between the flutes to create flats between them. No other reason than cosmetics, thinking it would make a cool contrast. Sort of a octagon barrel with flutes, terminating at muzzle and breach into a round. I would put it on the lathe and take a very light detail "wedding ring" cut to end the hand filed or scraped flats, and the flutes.
(I was thinking a carbide scraper might make cutting the flats faster, like a draw file with a brazed on sharpened carbide insert)

Any comments? Is this likely to destroy the barrels accuracy? Anyone done this?

No idea if this is a bad notion or not-
I have a GM SS 20" .22 LR barrel, nicely tapered with flutes. I was thinking about filing the area between the flutes to create flats between them. No other reason than cosmetics, thinking it would make a cool contrast. Sort of a octagon barrel with flutes, terminating at muzzle and breach into a round. I would put it on the lathe and take a very light detail "wedding ring" cut to end the hand filed or scraped flats, and the flutes.
(I was thinking a carbide scraper might make cutting the flats faster, like a draw file with a brazed on sharpened carbide insert)

Any comments? Is this likely to destroy the barrels accuracy? Anyone done this?

You have too much spare time.....

Just my opinion but the mix of flats and wedding band with the more modern stainless steel and fluting would (at least as I envision it) make it more "steampunk" than old-timey. I have seen some single shots done with blued barrels that went from octagon to round and they were very reminiscent of old time guns like the Stevens Favorite.

It is of course your time and material so you can do what pleases you but IMO the result would not be pleasing to most.

Just before you waste your time making a scraper. It isn't gonna work out the way I think you are thinking. If you look up scraping it's a long process and edges make it difficult. Stainless would be even more difficult with cast iron usually being the material of choice. Filing would be difficult and throwing in the mill is what I'd recommend.

There are so many questions here without answers. Why a stainless .22rf barrel? Why a fluted .22rf barrel? Why fuck with it? Why admit you own such a thing? Some kind of "Tacticool" thing I guess.

Because that is what I felt like buying, and I had the money. This is play for me. In the US, we still have the option to spend our money as we want. Or would you like a regulation? I am sure with some effort we can come up with something, no stainless barrels unless there is a certain pressure range or throat erosion problem, no flutes unless it can be determined to meet some criteria for stiffness and heat dissipation, and definitely no fucking with it unless it comes with a full length barrel condom.

Don't worry about the tactical aspect, it is going in a lovely curly maple stock.

I have pretty much given up the idea of cutting flats on it, scottl nailed it- too much bling.

One off. File or mill them.
Multiples, mill all the way.

Reasons for doing? All yours.but heck why not!
From hot rods to hair nets, we all like to make it our own :)

Probably would take less than an hour to rough them flat with a good draw file and then another hour or two with paper and stones to make them nice. A friend re-contoured a 308 target barrel to a semi-heavy sporter by draw filing and then polishing in the lathe. It's only time.....

No need to ask why. To each their own.

Back