What's new
What's new

any one added a rear lug to a standard m14 receiver?

72bwhite

Titanium
Any one hear added a rear lug to a standard m14 receive, to make it like
the like the ones used on the Springfeild supper match, or the
Fulton armory rear lug model?

and keep in mind we are machinists so making a part isn't a big deal.

What would the pitfalls be in welding it on?
is the temper critical on that end of the receiver?

I've not done it personally, but I studied up on it a few years ago. The rear of the receiver is not critical for heat treat.

Here's the conclusion I came to...

It is something that smiths used to do out of necessity. With the factory option of a rear lug receiver, the art died out. If I was building a match gun, I would buy a rear lug receiver, and build off of that. However, I wouldn't build a match gun on an M1a/M14 receiver anyway.

It definitely helped my ancient M1A shoot better.

dsc00784_zpsd607e8c4.jpg

I sent it to Clint Fowler about 20-30 years ago, here is what he did.

double_lug2_zpsldxczuuc.jpg

double_lug1_zps47cltnk3.jpg

Frank

Send it off to Roland Beaver or issac mckaskil and have both a front and rear lug welded on then bedded into a heavy McMillan stock.

I've not done it personally, but I studied up on it a few years ago. The rear of the receiver is not critical for heat treat.

Here's the conclusion I came to...

It is something that smiths used to do out of necessity. With the factory option of a rear lug receiver, the art died out. If I was building a match gun, I would buy a rear lug receiver, and build off of that. However, I wouldn't build a match gun on an M1a/M14 receiver anyway.

with the new Ca laws the M14 will become more popular for service rifle and match because it can
have the normal detachable mag, the ar15 platform will require pulling the rear take down pin to
remove the mag.
they really hate the AR15 out here

Back