What's new
What's new

14 Gauage Shotgun Shell

garyphansen

Titanium
I have a 14 Gauage (14 GA. is not bad typing) Remington UMC shotgun shell, and woundering what it is worth and how to go about selling it. I know Ebay will not let me list it. Any Ideas? Gary P. Hansen

As an aside, I remember reading many years ago about how the king of Spain shot a 14ga. When asked why he shot such an odd gage, he replied that he hated having fellow hunters bum ammo off of him. :)

Clutch

I own a couple of 16 Ga. shotguns. I think they are more common than 28 ga. I few years ago I asked a owner of a gunshop if he knew anyone that might be interested in buying one of my two Remington UMC 14 ga. shells. He told me flat out that there was never such a thing and I did not own a 14 ga. shell. I went home and measured one and it falls right between a 16 ga. and a 12 ga. shell. I have not looked at them for a long time but I think the headstamp just says 14 and not 14ga. Gary P. Hansen

I have a 16ga shotgun.

It's an old excell arms single shot, probably from the 40s. I killed my first deer with it, a nice 8 point buck on my 16th birthday (opening day). My dad gave it to me, and my grandpa gave it to him. Never seen a 14ga up close though, but I remember seeing one in this book about rare and strange guns.

Gauges were defined by dividing 1 pound of lead into equal parts and measuring the spherical parts, I am assuming that they used a shot tower. 12 ga. is 12 balls to the pound, 20 ga. = 20 balls the pound, 4-bore round projectiles weigh 4 oz. etc. With so many gunmakers working over the past few centuries I think saying "It doesn't exist" should be amended to "I've never seen one."

Back