What's new
What's new

Bullet Buttons and Thumbhole Stocks?

adammil1

Titanium
I was reading Senator Diane Finestine's proposed bill to make the world a better place; Assault Weapons - Issues - United States Senator Dianne Feinstein and saw the following;

Banning firearms with “thumbhole stocks” and “bullet buttons” to address attempts to “work around” prior bans

Just was wondering, googling "bullet buttons" I can understand what those are, but what is a "thumbhole stock"? Looking those up it looks like a regular gunstock? What is so special with those that they would try to ban those too?

The funny thing when it comes to all their regulations is that apparently the following is a "bullet button"
button.jpg
Talk about a difficult to make looking part! I bet if they ban those things no one will be able to get one!:nutter:

What she said is.

"We know we can't address the problem. Hell, we won't even spend the money to put security systems in schools or remotely try to address the problem at hand for you and your dumb kids. But we will do this instead, because it costs us nothing and the NRA and the constitutionalists will beat it back anyway. We know talking about it and bringing up the gun laws won't address the problem, but the public is stupid enough to believe it will. It will also win votes down the road and most importantly, we have to protect our wages and government pensions for money unspent. We have been using December 15, 1791 to explain and deal with all our social problems for a couple hundred years and it works just fine. And that's what it's really all about isn't it?"

But I'm just Canadian. And not a bright one. So that could all be wrong. But they did the same thing here. It made no difference and the murder rate goes up every year.

ADD NOTE: I read it through. She also said
`YO MAMMA ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐ DAS RIGHT YO MAMMA.`

Whatever that means.

I know it sounds stupid but back to my original question what is the deal with a "thumbhole" stock that makes it any different from any other gun part?

Also just wondering when it comes to making illegal gun parts how do the laws work?

Say that I want to make a kit for the bullet button, so I go to this website and I submit for quote the part on the left and the one in the center. Two different shops get back to me and I select them to make the parts for me, I buy the spring from McMaster and offer them for sale on my website. Roumor gets out that Adam has for sale the parts on his site to make a bullet button but I never list them as so. Who if any of the groups above is guilty of illegal manufacturing of banned weapon parts? The two shops that didn't know, McMaster, and or myself who never advertised them as bullet buttons?

I am really curious to know the answer, I know at work we work with parts under the ITAR regulations and my understanding is all 4 of us would be guilty, which is the reason you Canadians can no longer buy from McMaster up in Canada.

I dunno

Gun legislation is primarily emotion wherein they look to to ban cosmetic features and rarely the working mechanics of a weapon.

So until the stupid fucking dumb ass god forsaken turbo retarded window licking god damn retarded ass shit passes, we won't know.

The Bullet Button is a product that allows the shooter to drop a magazine with the use of a tool. It prevents finger manipulation of the mag release, and creates a condition allowable under current individual interpretations of California law.

This does not create a detachable mag situation, but creates an attachable-fixed magazine condition. A bullet tip can be used as the tool, as can any small object such as Allen wrench, or small screwdriver.

This button can not be used with magazines greater than 10 rounds in capacity. To do so in the state of California on an unregistered assault weapon, would be a felony.

The Bullet Button installs in less than a minute, requires no gunsmithing, or cutting on any part of the rifle. The installation is not permanent, and can be reversed just as quickly.

Materials are anodized aircraft grade aluminum, and carbon spring steel wire. All parts needed to convert your standard, or Prince50 equipped AR-15 are included. 100 percent made in California, by Californians, for California shooters.

Thumb hole stock is a regular stock with a hole in it where you can stick your thumb through to grasp a "gasp" pistol stock. Once the thumb is through the stock the stock can be manipulated one handed. Many stocks use that idea: folding stocks, pistol grips, paratrooper collapsing stocks. You get the idea.

The "Thumbhole" issue was that manufacturers started essentially making a bar that went from the bottom of the stock to the bottom of the pistol grip on an AR to get around the part in the old ban that said guns were more dangerous if the had a "conspicuously protruding grip". By extending the lower end of the stock down to the grip, the grip was no longer "protruding" below the stock. Technically, because it created an enclosed (albeit large) loop behind the grip, it became a "thumbhole". The bullet button is a replacement for the mag release on an AR that makes it necessary to use a "tool" to release the magazine, as californians can't have semi autos with detachable magazines. Technically, since you need a tool to remove the mag, you are "disassembling" the rifle, not swapping mags.:rolleyes5: . This is why the stupid bans won't work. American ingenuity finds a way around dumb, arbitrary rules. For example, see my post about making ARs as "bolt actions". (Feinstein workaround)

Tom

Back