What's new
What's new

Anyone own a 12 x 36 lathe ?

antique lathe

Aluminum
Looking for a lathe to cut metric threads on. With a 1 1/2" bore. I have 4 16" lathes and one 18" lathe. The 18" is the only one with a 1 1/2 bore. That Lodge & Shipley does not do metric. 12" is the size I would like. Really do not have room for another 12' hunk of American iron. So it seems I have to go import. I was looking at the Grizzly G0750G. It seems to fit the bill. But I notice around 2013 on different websites. Alot of guys talking about problems with them. But I have not found any newer comments. Any G0750G owners out there? Or other 12 x 36 owners? Would like to here some ideas. Thank you.

Looking for a lathe to cut metric threads on. With a 1 1/2" bore. I have 4 16" lathes and one 18" lathe. The 18" is the only one with a 1 1/2 bore. That Lodge & Shipley does not do metric. 12" is the size I would like. Really do not have room for another 12' hunk of American iron. So it seems I have to go import. I was looking at the Grizzly G0750G. It seems to fit the bill. But I notice around 2013 on different websites. Alot of guys talking about problems with them. But I have not found any newer comments. Any G0750G owners out there? Or other 12 x 36 owners? Would like to here some ideas. Thank you.

You say "antique lathe"?

Might have to go a bit larger than 12" swing. Or not. But seek out a Swiss, German, French, Italian, Japanese, Taiwanese, Korean, or late-model metric-era or even Inch/metric British one 'of a certain age' and you'll gain more than just metrifuckated threading capability.

Grisely? Kidding, right? Why would it even be less hungry for space than a real lathe?

Grizzly blows bro. If you are gonna go Asian -which IMO is a perfectly okay thing to do - go with Taiwanese like Precision Matthews or, if you can afford it a clean, older Takisawa or similar quality. Look for Swiss too, nothing better!

Squire

Sent Using Tapatalk - Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma, Tahlequah OK

Agree with above. If you want a decent lathe, run away from the Grizzly. :)
I have a 27 year old Whacheon (spelling might be wrong) that is similar to a 70's/80's manual Mori-Seiki. I've cut metric threads on it many time. Cutting metric one does have to leave the half-nut engaged. No biggie tho...... It has a planty big enough spindle,but it's a 14 X 40. There might be smaller, but I wanted the weight when I bought it. Weighs about 2X or more than a cheapo of the same vintage.
Go with the weight!

Brian, I never heard of the Colchester Master.
Just did a search of it. That seems like it would work. But I could not find one for sale in North America. England, France and India. Seems to be alot across the pond.
Everyone else; Thank you, No go on the Grizzly. So what else with metric plus 1 1/2 bore should I look at. I do like the smaller Monarchs. But I have never seen one say it can do metric. Plus I could be wrong, But I was thinking it is only a 1 3/8 bore.

Harrison M300 = 13" X 25" or 13" X 40", I own one of the former models. Has 1 5/8" spindle bore and inch metric threading, most common without ever messing with the end gear train. I feel it has been one of the smarter purchases I have made and about the easiest lathe out of the lot to figure out the settings for threading on.
Dan

Brian, I never heard of the Colchester Master.
Just did a search of it. That seems like it would work. But I could not find one for sale in North America. England, France and India. Seems to be alot across the pond.
Everyone else; Thank you, No go on the Grizzly. So what else with metric plus 1 1/2 bore should I look at. I do like the smaller Monarchs. But I have never seen one say it can do metric. Plus I could be wrong, But I was thinking it is only a 1 3/8 bore.

The 'Master' has 'other brothers' that turn up in North America. Look for Colchester Triumph 2000, or Clausing-Colchester in general.

Monarch DID make inch-metric lathes, never common, rare as dentures for dogs now. Transposing gears ++, even very fairly priced, can be as costly as an entire used lathe, so..

Nardini is another possible. Generally rated as at least a 'medium good' lathe.

If wishes were fishes, I'd want a Cazeneuve HBX or a SAG Graziano, but I tend to catch more seaweed than fish, so...

the relatively common clausing 5900's can be modified to do metric threads. No way to "switch" between inch and metric quickly, though... you've got to swap the banjo.

the relatively common clausing 5900's can be modified to do metric threads. No way to "switch" between inch and metric quickly, though... you've got to swap the banjo.

Same with the South Bends, but SBs are probably a lot more plentiful with a lot of available accessories. The metric gears are not hard to find, but they usually go for a pretty penny. Takes about 10 minutes to fully change out the gears. I got a set of NOS genuine SB gears for $250, but the going price seems to be closer to $500. They make oh so beautiful metric threads though. M27x2.0 AIAX oem tenon on top, mine on the bottom:

kWPR7ZToT063mAslg8wE3pT_VSy0ohgK8L5Mb37I3Rs43xV2LH4BB6H6GhrvjAV79VRGkhFX5vkKUmWlE2T34Z8aa4ksUfdqFNgIlP8VKRVf5kb1P-nxs8WY8WjNJdqVsFdmaP2mdZwsABm7u2mxV1xbxK_mskiaqvauklZmsDKCuHKUYNmtJSbZpK_Z9OrPHXn5hcgeNx4bzRxLK95VXErLhIQD0IOHUEu0qFlZPL9d9hqavHbrDI1tSosbTghLXU8uXgog_q1t5ebwDo2q9BcQgqcN4yOXi7lOYYBITu2FtEF5woTuNp4dChBPAjHKDmaWM1EAUZqJql_35GuQPIoOYAVMdf9zRopqFSbJ3FR-A2fBIvx7QBp51e5k1re_515cTVk00gwRpGYANE6altNAYFa2eqYLDw36bchI-fysgatKE8wd3ZksGZ9RrE4Ps-7k1VXZof5oeQ_ICT5scb2mrVML0n1_eTI587tTKRf8-cm3y_PosDr-ojBzZXXAmijD6jVzPYnOqgrnwNAgKNGxkAIFm3LRUCtjR8zn-9UysZ2566vdSW2wmf0kJAn5MUMujz1WS-J1mE8dDGsyvcKuY9ABZN7DTdTAEWKxeBejcICmbt7FQrP4J74apCMCOx9c51Wf6cnHx1UOiCaInG00RDGqYZ729w6xB3kRcL0=w1024

The Colchester Master that you provided a link to, would be a much newer version than mine.

IMGP0041 (800x600).jpg

Mine is a 1967 model, that was popular in Canada in most community colleges.

Brian

I have a Do-All 13X24 with 1 - 9/16 bore that will do standard or metric threads just by changing the dials. It is out of production but I see them pop up for sale a lot (withe beds from 24 - 60"). It was built by Romi machine tool in Brazil. They also built the Bridgeport Tormax. It is the exact same lathe, just rebranded.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

Buy some ductile iron blanks and make your own transposing gears. One lathe I'm thinking of ( 100 year old Dalton) was found to need raising blocks 2 1/2" high to accept the 127T gear. There is another closer ratio using much smaller gears, very small error in pitch.

My L&S 18x56 has transposing gears for everything, including metric. I ordered my SB 10k new with metric transposing gears. My 13x40 late model SB just has a lever to do metric. They all have inch lead screws, so once the half nuts are engaged, they cannot be disengaged until job is complete. Maybe someone will sell you a set of transposing gears for what you already have?

FWIW I don't own, now would I buy a lathe that doesn't have a taper attachment or a metric thread solution.

Back