What's new
What's new

ar 10 lowers

drylakemachine

Hot Rolled
I have heard that some ar 10 lowers and uppers will not interchange.Is this a problem with the upper being different
Or do I just machine the lowers for the correct app?
Thanks jim

AR10 is a trademark pattern owned by Armalite.
LR308 is a non trademarked pattern used by DPMS and many others.
There are also boutique brands that are only sold as a matched set (upper and lower) with their own standard.

The primary area of difference is the radius between the upper edge of the lower as it transitions up to the buffer tube tower. DPMS is a radius (much like the standardized AR15, and the AR10 is a pair of angles with a straight line between them)

AR 10 has 18 tpi barrel nut threads DPMS is 16 tpi (that is the upper)
So the two versions take different "hand guard" parts.

I'm no expert, but I have read that the bolt carriers are different also. The AR-10 firing pin may have a spring.
There may be differences in take down pins as well as trigger pins for some versions.

Lots of little stuff that makes a simple "machine it to fit" response very complicated. ;-)

AR-15 components are usually made to Mil-Spec so "interchange" similar to the 1911 style pistol, most of the time.

AR-10 components are mostly proprietary between a couple (at least) different designs so uppers, lowers, magazines, internals, etc primarily specific to one of those designs and not easily "forced" together.

Most recommend choosing one AR-10 design and sticking with that one for a build, but anything's possible with enough time and money.

AR 10 has 18 tpi barrel nut threads DPMS is 16 tpi (that is the upper)
So the two versions take different "hand guard" parts.

I'm no expert, but I have read that the bolt carriers are different also

This is true. I also belong to a pure gun related forum. A member there had is AR-10 fire out of battery because he chose the wrong bolt and firing pin for the bolt carrier he bought.

AR-10's are not as straight forward to build as AR-15s are.

Back