What's new
What's new

AR15 upper 1" hole?

nitrousmudbogger

Aluminum
How are people in production doing this hole? We are using a Ken Tip drill with not great results. Material with our parts is 6061. Horizontal mill 45hp. and with about 500 psi through coolant as read on the gauge in the cut

You mean where the buffer tube threads in?

Drill and ream? Probably too much pressure from the drill. I would imagine helical boring (or whatever the term is) would be best. Then again, I have never used a CNC in my life.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Are you making a million of them?

Useful tool life can be had with less sophisticated tooling. That just may work better.

What have you tried? That's a whispy feature to try to push through in one pass.

We actually have a customer that says they want at least 2500 pairs per month. So that is the plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're going to have a hard time getting a good suggestion when the problem description is "not good results". Honestly, other than possibly the fixturing of the upper, this is not a really firearm specific operation so I'd suggest asking in the general section to get a broader input potential. You are popping a 1" hole 8" or so deep in xxxx material. And describe the problem/results in detail or everyone will be shooting in the dark as they are here. I probably couldn't answer your question even if I had all the facts but I know enough to know there isn't enough information here to make any kind of targeted suggestion.

People mass producing gun pieces probably aren't giving away any of their machining strategies. But yet he came asking for help.....

Looking at his post history, it looks like he's had to get help from PM for every single step of the way to get lowers and uppers made. From fixturing to cutting.

I wonder why forum members can expect to see their portion of his paycheck :)

Back