What's new
What's new

Automatic Transmission Fluid for Lathe Coolant?

Southron

Plastic
I have a lathe with the "coolant accessory package" that will flood the workpiece I am cutting with a stream of fluid to keep the cutting tool and workpeice cool during the turning process.

The "coolant" recommended by the manufacturer is some type of water soluable oil. I need to get some more coolant; and a friend of mine suggested that I get and use some automatic transmission fluid as my "coolant" fluid. Of course, another advantage of automatic transmission fluid is that it is available at the local auto parts store and won't have to be ordered.

Is using automatic transmission fluid for a coolant good advice? I would like to get away from the water soluable oil as my coolant.

Any advice and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

THANKS!

Is using automatic transmission fluid for a coolant good advice?

No

The reason is simple. Any oil will be far less of a cooling medium than water based coolant.

About all you could expect is that you had changed from "cooling" to lubricating, which is not the same thing

John

It seems like most automatic transmissions have external coolers, and there must be a reason for that....
Stick to what's known to work for a coolant instead of something made for something else, and all will be good........

The *real* reason to NOT use ATF as a cutting fluid is
that, it is a very good lube oil. Which is exactly what
you *don't* want for a cutting fluid.

ATF makes a great, general purpose shop oil, about 5Wt,
non gumming and high quality. But it will perform very
very poorly as a cutting fluid.

Jim

A cutting oil would work much better than ATF and its not real expensive.

A water type coolant will require adding more water as the water evaporates,
and it can leave a sticky, rusty film on ways plus it can go rancid and stink.

A spray mister could be used also, they work well and can be moved from machine to machine.

I have a lathe with the "coolant accessory package" that will flood the workpiece I am cutting with a stream of fluid to keep the cutting tool and workpeice cool during the turning process.

The "coolant" recommended by the manufacturer is some type of water soluable oil. I need to get some more coolant; and a friend of mine suggested that I get and use some automatic transmission fluid as my "coolant" fluid. Of course, another advantage of automatic transmission fluid is that it is available at the local auto parts store and won't have to be ordered.

Is using automatic transmission fluid for a coolant good advice? I would like to get away from the water soluable oil as my coolant.

Any advice and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

THANKS!

I would say no.

Because if you are milling metal that can be hardened and it gets hot,
the second the oil touches the metal it will harden and then you cant cut it any more.

JMHO

ATF as coolant

Southron and the group,
If you want a real headache go ahead. I can tell you it isn't all that good, my K T horizontal mill came with some kind of oil in the sump. It kinda worked OK but oh what a mess it made on the finished parts and the chip bucket was mostly oil on the bottom. I still have about a half a bucket of oil and chips to get rid of. Now I use water based coolant on a spray bottle, it works much better to me.

Thanks,
Paul

Why would a friend have more expertise than a machine manufacturer? Would you consider substituting water based coolant for transmission oil in your automobile if that were recommended to you?

Thanks Everyone !!!!

I had my doubts about using ATF, so that is why I posted my question on this Board. I will use a water based coolant!

THANKS FOR YOUR RESPONSES-

water based coolant

HELLO TO ALL,
water based coolant, (soluble oil), will turn white
when mixed with water. if it doesn't, then there may
be a problem.
good luck to all.
wlbrown

Ethyene glycol based engine coolant is toxic. Lethal dose for an adult human is
appx. 1/4 cup. Vaporized coolant like that is also toxic. I would not use it and
advise others not to as well. Because I've never used it for that I cannot say if
it even would function well as a cutting fluid.

Jim

ATF or Real Cutting Fluid

There are many factors to consider. First, your health, second, your cutting fluid coolant and lubricity along with your finish and tool ware$.

In my humble opinion Rustlick does a great job in making coolants for almost every need.

They can be bought locally or ordered and delivered by UPS or truck.

My Rustlick 255R has lasted about 5 years and it is going strong. 5 gallons cut 5:1 makes 6 gallons. cut 10:1 makes 11 gallons, 20:1 makes 21 gallons and 30:1 makes 31 gallons.

I always use distilled water to cut my coolant and have had no problems. It has chlorine in it and I have been told after it gets old you can add a up of chlorox to replinish the evaporated chlorine.

I can say it cleans up well.

Rustystud

ATF for lathe coolant?

HELLO,
i stand corrected. at one place i worked we had
a powder that was mixed with water, that turned
an amber color.
wlbrown

Back