What's new
What's new

Marlin M62 lever action

excello

Aluminum
I have a marlin M 62 lever gun, cal. 30 carbine. I bought it thinking it would be nice because I could use it with reduced loads etc.

When I shoot full power Winchester factory ammo, the fired cases feel almost like the chamber is" fluted ". I know some military firearms use fluted chambers. Any body here familiar with chambers in these M62's ?

They have a short stroke lever system and probably not much extraction power, so that could favor a fluted chamber I suppose.

The ripples in the cases seem to size back OK in my full length size die and I am going to try some less powerful loads in it today - ( 110 gr hornadys at about 1600fps ).

I can also cast the chamber with cerrosafe, but thought someone on here might already have some insight on this .

Thanks

I had one of those and found that ammunition tolerances had to be kept close as I would get failures in locking of the bolt. A contributing factor at the time may have been that the chamber was not deep enough. Some factory ammo would chamber and fire no problem. Other factory ammo would not allow the bolt to close full. Frank

I have the 22 magnum version, it's a nice little gun.

Anyway, I've read a bit on the model 62 and nothing ever mentioned a fluted or otherwise non-standard chamber. Are the cases sooty? Is the fluting symmetrical or somewhat random? Without looking at the cases (if you could post up some pics it would be nice) it sounds like it might be a gas leakage problem.

frank46 - yes, I am finding that I have to trim cases to near minimum so that the bolt will close. If I do that, it functions reloads real well.

MarkW - I dont think the fluting marks on the fired cases will show up well enough in a picture. I can feel them though. They seem to be equally spaced - I'm wondering if they are just chatter marks from the chambering reamer. Pretty rough chamber job if thats the case ! When I fired factory loads the cases were very sooty, so some gas is definitely leaking back. I fired quite a few of my lower powered reloads this weekend and they seem to be leaving the cases cleaner. The fluting on the fired case isnt quite as noticeable either, which probably makes sense with less pressure.

Overall, I'm thinking this rifle will be fun to tinker with, and I will be able to control fired brass losses much better than with my M1 carbine.

Thanks to you both for your replies.

Back