What's new
What's new

Workaround for Feinstein's AW Bill

moaprecision

Aluminum
Ok, so here is a sorta dumb question. If Semi-automatic AR-15s are banned in the new legislation, could someone manufacture a rifle that used 95% AR parts, but had no gas tube hole in the upper receiver, and a blank (undrilled) gas block? It would, without any provision for gas impingement, be essentially a straight pull, manually operated bolt action at that point. Of course, if somebody decided to drill a .184 diameter hole in the upper and a .159 diameter port in the gas block, they would be violating the ban;), but WHEN IT LEFT THE FACTORY, it was a legal bolt action. Anybody see any problem with this logic? Not that I am trying to get around it or anything, I just like the AR platform. Yeah, thats it:D

I suspect the penalties for modifying firearms from single to semi would be just as severe as the penalties for modifying semi to auto.

I suspect the penalties for modifying firearms from single to semi would be just as severe as the penalties for modifying semi to auto.
Can you cite where anyone has ever been indicted and convicted for conversion to full auto from semi? I can't think of anything off the top of my head, it seems they usually charge the perp with illegal transfer charges.

I wonder if they do that to avoid tee'ing up an unwanted legal case?

Can you cite where anyone has ever been indicted and convicted for conversion to full auto from semi? I can't think of anything off the top of my head, it seems they usually charge the perp with illegal transfer charges.

I wonder if they do that to avoid tee'ing up an unwanted legal case?

I have personally watched an acquaintance go through the hassle, back in the very early 90's. He had ( ironically enough ) bought an AR privately. Bought it because they were popular. It had previously been a MG but was currently Semi. Someone previous ( I never did find out if it was the one that sold it to him, or someone prior to that ) had converted it to FA properly and my acqiantance had not noticed the lack of a pin and the hole ( I learned this later ). They could not prove that he did it ( did originally charge him with that though ), so they charged him with possession of and a litany of other minor, padding charges. He actually had to do time for it. Really sucked to watch because he was a nice guy that honestly did not know the difference.

14839_original.jpg

I saw one a couple years ago where someone had turned a AR into a pump action. His idea was to beat the calif ban.

Part of his mods let you hold back the trigger and it would fire as the bolt closed like some old pump shotguns.

Ok, so here is a sorta dumb question. If Semi-automatic AR-15s are banned in the new legislation, could someone manufacture a rifle that used 95% AR parts, but had no gas tube hole in the upper receiver, and a blank (undrilled) gas block? It would, without any provision for gas impingement, be essentially a straight pull, manually operated bolt action at that point. Of course, if somebody decided to drill a .184 diameter hole in the upper and a .159 diameter port in the gas block, they would be violating the ban;), but WHEN IT LEFT THE FACTORY, it was a legal bolt action. Anybody see any problem with this logic? Not that I am trying to get around it or anything, I just like the AR platform. Yeah, thats it:D

This has been done in the UK. On Ruger m14 also.
Th ey even allow pistols with either ridicilously long barrerls or a long metal rod protruding back from the grip. This makes the gun legal in length.
Very funny.

I imagine the feds find it easier to obtain convictions/pleas for transfers rather than mfr/possesion. A jury might nullify for a defendant who convinces them he didn't make the modifications or didn't know he had a MG. A documented sale to an undercover officer would be almost impossible to defend.

Don't comply. Duh.

There's a Brit member of AR15.com that manufactures very nice straight pull AR based rifles. It's not a big deal.

Back