What's new
What's new

Ballard liner

Notlwonk

Plastic
I have a Ballard 22 RF barrel that I want to line to 25-20 WCF. This barrel has the cut outs for the 2 piece extractor. The 1/4" hole that runs parallel to the bore can be filled with a silver soldered rod, but that leaves the 1/2" long cut out on the side giving no support to the rod. If it gets lined with the 1/2" liner then the wall thickness will be ~.075, will that be enough material?
I do have the option to fit the barrel to a Winchester 1885, then the window area will be cut off. I would prefer to put it on the Ballard.
Any other thoughts?

Why not just get barrel rebored??? That's what the old timers did with good quality barrels..

Liners are a bit of a makeshift fix on a centerfire.

A powderpuff like the 25 20, should be easy on the original barrel steel..

As to filling cuts, silver braze in well fitted steel pieces, re cut as needed.

Even with a simple rebore there will be the issue of the cut outs and even more of a problem at the chamber unless the chamber area is sleeved. Achieving a well fitted block would be beyond what I'm set up for.
I guess I was hoping for an affirmation as to the strength of the liner without a 100% support.

You can do hoop strength calculations..

But.. Air does not equal steel.. Cutout means NO support. Liner wall is thin enough, cutting a chamber, thins it below what I would call acceptable.

A chamber sleeve is appropriate for the 25-20.

If you are not setup to do a good job... Do not do it.. Get a new barrel..

Back