What's new
What's new

1911 .22 conversion

JimmyD

Aluminum
I have been looking at the conversion kits for my Govt. model . Any body have exp. or opinions ? My most important criteria are accuracy and reliability . Thanks Jim

I had Fred Kart build a complete gun w/2.5 Lb. trigger. His conversions were extemely accurate, Eley Pistol Match averaged 3/8" at 50 yds. from a Ransom Rest. Blew my mind when I first tried it on the Ransom Rest. Five more 10 shot groups verified the first one. Since the conversion was all steel, the gun was a little on the heavy side. By the same token, the Marvel is aluminum and much lighter and is closer to the 45 in weight. Marvels are also extremely accurate but never owned one to test. The first match I shot with the Kart at 50 yds., after I recieved it, with a 1X Burris, first shot was a 7 at 3 o'clock, adjusted the windage, and shot 9 X's. With that gun made Master that year and the 22 was alls ways holding me back before. All the rest of the 22 conversions on the market may work, but reliability/accuracy is a problem with them. More money for the Marvels but you get what you pay for.

Hi all: Put in the Marvel category. I experience with four or five, including one I own for myself, and I have never seen a kit as accurate or reliable.

I have been making 1911's with the Marvel conversion units for some time. Note that the US AMU at Benning is still shooting some even though keeping them tuned is a full time job. If the AMU shoots it, it has to be good.

I posted a "Marvel Shop Fixes" some time ago and will send it to anyone who wants a copy via E-Mail. Send requests to [email protected].

Update , I purchased a Marvel unit , took 1 mo. & 1 day to get to my door . I shot it a little just to try it out . Very well built unit. I am looking forward to doing some testing with ammo to see what shoots best . Any suggestions ? Thanks to all for the suggestions / opinions .
Jim

Back