What's new
What's new

Barrel Marking

kendog

Cast Iron
To the guys that are doing barreling, what method are you using to mark the barrel when it is complete? Caliber, etc. I have been using hand stamps but am looking for a better way.
Thanks

Hermes pantograph engraver. Couple of boxes of letter and number templates came with it. Will do italics also.

Not made for many years, the computer engravers made it extinct. But it works very well for gun work, and anything else in the machine shop that needs nice letters/numbers.

Hermes pantograph engraver. Couple of boxes of letter and number templates came with it. Will do italics also.

Not made for many years, the computer engravers made it extinct. But it works very well for gun work, and anything else in the machine shop that needs nice letters/numbers.

What model Hermes? Did you have to modify it to do barrels?
Thanks

Barrel Engraving

The New Hermes manual engravers are extinct. But ther are several small clone engravers that will doo the job just fine. I bought one and mounted it on a table. Bought an import V block to hole my barrels. Got a set of 5/16 letters and numbers and have never looked back.

Nat Lambeth

The New Hermes manual engravers are extinct. But ther are several small clone engravers that will doo the job just fine. I bought one and mounted it on a table. Bought an import V block to hole my barrels. Got a set of 5/16 letters and numbers and have never looked back.

Nat Lambeth

Can you name the clones? Picture of your setup? Sorry to be a blockhead, this is all new to me and trying to get an idea of the right equipment.
Thanks

Stamps

Glad to see this thead..Can anyone provide me with information on the process of making stamps in the 1940s and 50s..Were the stamps hand made by engravers or was there a special machining process.?
Thank you

Jerry

You can buy the old metal number and letter stamps. This was used in the olden days. It is possible to do a good job with them. Nat, New Hermes engravers are not extinct, but are getting harder and more expensive to find. I have an IXT3 New Hermes. I brought home a Gorton pantograph yesterday. It is a serious pantograph.
Butch

Glad to see this thead..Can anyone provide me with information on the process of making stamps in the 1940s and 50s..Were the stamps hand made by engravers or was there a special machining process.?
Thank you

Jerry

Dig around and you may find the post that described the process that was posted here not too long ago, in the Antique machinery section.

There was a video posted that ran through the process of making a stamp to match a partial set, IIRC, as well as the process of reproducing the stamp, by stamping the impression into soft steel, hardening that, and using that hardened impression to form the new stamp from soft steel.

Cheers
Trev

Back