What's new
What's new

Barrel Setup in lathe for thicker recoil lug

billmech

Plastic
Hi All,
Just looking for some thoughts on this to set the shoulder back. I have heard of 2 methods: a. between centers b. dial in the chamber. This is factory barrel & chamber (300 win mag hunt rifle). I lean toward "a" as it keeps the chamber inline with bolt. At this point, i cannot indicate off recoil tenon face or shoulder. Like most factory barrels, nothing is straight, parallel or concentric. The reason its apart is because the factory (defective?)recoil lug has a oversize chamfer and the barrel and lug was gouged changing the poi.

Thanks, Bill

Thanks for the reply BobbyBailey,
I dialed in the barrel as described. The chamber is not not perfect, but went for happy medium, around .0005 TIR.

Bill

so if I understand right, all you want to do is remove some sttel from barrel tenon for a thicker recoil lug?

first of all, is your receiver face square? if not it must be fixed first.
does barrel screw thight in receiver. slack threads dont hold much under vibration.

if you answer yes to both, then I would just stick it between center and headspace the new lug. its not a moving part so as long its thight on the barrel, off center by a thow or two wont hurt. but if everything is slack and crooked, the only real good fix I can see would be true-up the action and chamber a new blank

Hi dero338,
The receiver was trued, although it was only out a 2-3 tenths tir. I did indicate the chamber as i want the chamber/cartridge inline & parallel with the bolt. After truing the chamber, I cut the shoulder.
Will have to see how it groups. It shot some factory stuff quite well, if not i will look at a new blank and chamber.
For now, i need to make the recoil lug fixture.

thanks, bill

Back