What's new
What's new

Remington .223 bolt assembly

wepllc

Aluminum
Does anyone know where I can purchase a Remington .223 Bolt assembly at a reasonable Price? From what I’ve seen on the internet, I could not find a standard Remington .223 bolt assembly for less than $250.00.

Pacific Tool & Die makes good ones. So does Pierce Engineering. If you already have the barreled action minus the bolt, headspace may be an issue no matter who's bolt you buy. If you are starting to build a new rifle any of these will do.

If you do buy a Remington factory bolt make sure you get the correct one. The minimum bolt has clean lugs. The mid bolt has a prick punch mark on one or both lugs and the maximum bolts have a light lathe cut across both lugs. If you get the wrong one you will have to move the chamber forward or set the barrel back. Most of the PTGs seam to be set at max so you can push the chamber forward to headspace it. The PTGs do vary a bit though and some times don't interchange without reheadspacing. The Remington factory ones are generally bang on as marked.

I was a Remington a few mounths ago. And they told me that if the action still had the factory barrel on it and trigger that the would fit a New bolt. Asked this question because i have an XP-100 with out a bolt. It would be the cheapist way to go. It is worth a phone call to see and you would have all Remington

Thanks for some of the suggestions. I did check both Pierce Engineering & PTG. Both sites look like the total bolt assembly can get to be expensive. The original receiver was from a Rem .308, so sending it back to Reminington does not appear to be an option, since the original barrel has been removed. I do have the original Rem .308 bolt assembly and now I'm wondering if I can be a little creative. That is, can I use the original (.308) bolt assembly. Obivously, I will have to modify the bolt face to accomodate the base dimensions for a .223 case. I'm still thinking about it.

If you were a glutton for punishment you could probably make a bushing to use the original rem style extractor, the newer floating one too probably.

The price on bolts really makes me wonder how much you could make buying cheap rem rifles and parting them out.

Somebody or other was doing that at one time ??

Bill

Back