i_r_machinist is offline Titanium

Default a blunder buss kit for beginners?

I asked my son what he wanted for his 16th birthday and he blind sides me with "blunder buss". I counter offer with another AK47. Nope.
    "How about we build you a nice cannon".
    "We have two already. Plus I can use the cannon powder in the blunderbuss."
    So..
    I've googled the kits and have found one good kit for about $900, but it says not for beginners, and several kits that say "plastic" or "scale". Can someone recommend a good kit?
    thanks
    i_r_

USMCPOP is offline Titanium

That is pretty cool looking. I'll show it to him this evening. He has recently got into watching those "doomsday preppers" on TV. I'm going to ask him if he's seen any of those guys with a blunder buss. I would like to do a kit gun with him, just not sold on the practicality of "blunder buss". Especially when I could throw another hundred on that and have another ak laying around the house.
    thanks
    i_r_

USMCPOP is offline Titanium

How about making a hand cannon (pole cannon)? Here's an old 3-barrel percussion pole cannon: Shooting the 3-Barrel Rapid-Fire Pole Cannon - YouTube

That's even cooler than the blunder buss! And I have the material at the house to make it!
    i_r_

S_W_Bausch is offline Diamond

I suspect accuracy of the pole cannon would improve if it were operated as a crew-served weapon.

The person aiming the cannon would be towards the end of the pole, sighting down the pole, with a 2nd person tapping/lighting the fuses.

thermite is offline Diamond

Quote Originally Posted by i_r_machinist View Post
    That is pretty cool looking. I'll show it to him this evening. He has recently got into watching those "doomsday preppers" on TV. I'm going to ask him if he's seen any of those guys with a blunder buss. I would like to do a kit gun with him, just not sold on the practicality of "blunder buss". Especially when I could throw another hundred on that and have another ak laying around the house.
    thanks
    i_r_
    Look for 'coach gun'.

And creep-agers and TV? They get weird misconceptions. My same-age Godson, living the 'apartment life' in weapon-scarce Hong Kong persistently wanted to know all about 'saws' on last summer's visit to Virginia.

I set up a work area on the patio, explained the blade function, tooth-count, rake, shape, 'set', blade material. Then let the boys each take a turn at cutting wood, alumnum, steel with all the appropriate hand and power saws.

Bit of puzzlement showing on young faces.

"Detective' work turned up no interest at all in cabinetry or such.

They'd seen a gore-flick called 'Saw' and thought they had discovered the ultimate of weapons.....

Hope the 'blunderbuss' interest is not being driven by the same sort of 'world view'...

Bill

Now that you mention it, Has there been a new "pirates of the Caribbean" come out lately? He already has a sword.
    Did you tell the grandsons which saw would be better for bone? Course or fine cut?
    have fun
    i_r_machinist

thermite is offline Diamond

Quote Originally Posted by i_r_machinist View Post
    which saw would be better for bone? Course or fine cut?
    Nah. Twigged to wot it was that had caught their interest too late.

Bone depends on whether one wants to incapacitate (chainsaw was not demo'ed that day, thankfully!) ... prepare meat for food ....or do beneficial surgery.

Kids.... Part of their tribal nature to always fantasize about some sort of 'edge' over their peers. Or braggin' rights.
    Swords, saws. blunderbussen....

Fortunately, in our world most boys are discovered by girls and start to grow up, rather than short-circuiting to RPG's and failing to do.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Fortunately, in our world most boys are discovered by girls and start to grow up, rather than short-circuiting to RPG's and failing to do.
    One of the neighborhood girls has that "pregnant by the 9th grade" air about her. She's not allowed on the property without adult female supervision, and I've had many talks with the boy about becoming a teenage dad. If he wants to play with a gun instead of her, I'm all for it!
    have fun
    i_r_
    PS. I can totally see a coach gun in our future.

sealark37 is offline Hot Rolled

Try Dixie Gun Works in Tennessee. They stock an amazing variety of parts and kits for functional flint and percussion weapons.