What's new
What's new

bolt action throat erosion gauge

milboltnut

Aluminum
Hi,

found your site and was wondering if someone can help find a throat erosion gauge for bolt action rifles.

I found this one on a site but can't find out where it came from or if they still exist.

http://www.vishooter.net/m1903/taper_gage.jpg

The guy who shows it on his site is hard to get a hold of from time to time, so any help would be appreciated.

Ara-mor makes a throat erosion gage for M1 and M-14/M1A. For bolt actions you would need the gage and the spacer.
Both are sold by Brownells.

I talked to a tech and they told me they didn't carry a spacer... but they list them on their site. And there wasn't a guage for bolt actions.

Throat erosion gauges for military rifles like garands work because the gauge was made to work with that action and chamber which is the same for all garands.
On a bolt action rifle , unless you took a reading when the barrel was unfired, you will have no point of reference.
You would be better to use a Stoney point/Hornady throat gauge with modified case and whatever bullet your going to shoot. When the base of the bullet is almost past the case mouth it’s probably shot out.

I have the Hornady COAL gauge... I could use it.. but just wanted to know for future reference when buying a rifle at a show or shop.

And just curious to know where they are rather than guessing with a COAL Hornady gauge. I'm not into "Probably" shot out.

Army Standards can still shoot with whats unacceptable to them.

As far as a point of reference...? with a extension your reference is the end or outside the recess of the receiver. I'm not here for opinions or advice just where to get the gauges, thanks.

The opinions and advice are part of the package. And they are free, Just like any response to the question of inquiry.

Freedom of passing information goes both ways. To and from any interested party.

That just the way the internet works ;-)

Protecting that freedom is the reason for the guns.

Ara-mor makes a throat erosion gage for M1 and M-14/M1A. For bolt actions you would need the gage and the spacer.
Both are sold by Brownells.

This is all I needed, or something similar to this. Is that ok with you Kieth?

So, you're saying this doesn't matter? Seems like good information to me.

Throat erosion gauges for military rifles like garands work because the gauge was made to work with that action and chamber which is the same for all garands.
On a bolt action rifle , unless you took a reading when the barrel was unfired, you will have no point of reference.
You would be better to use a Stoney point/Hornady throat gauge with modified case and whatever bullet your going to shoot. When the base of the bullet is almost past the case mouth it’s probably shot out.

So, you're saying this doesn't matter? Seems like good information to me.

On a bolt action rifle , unless you took a reading when the barrel was unfired, you will have no point of reference
[/QUOTE........

with a bullet and OAL guage from Hornady....

A throat guage tells wear with a scale.... a bullet doesn't.

Seriously I'd rather use a scaled gauge.

On a bolt action rifle , unless you took a reading when the barrel was unfired, you will have no point of reference
[/QUOTE........

with a bullet and OAL guage from Hornady....

A throat guage tells wear with a scale.... a bullet doesn't.

Seriously I'd rather use a scaled gauge.

Yes because a TEG as most are sold work with guns like m1a or m1 because the back of the barrel is at the opening of the receiver , and that is how the gauge scale is calibrated. Stick that same gauge in a r700, even with a spacer and who knows what your reading will be, stick it in a m70, different again. The back of the barrel is inside the receiver forward if the locking lug recess, so unless you got a reading when the barrel was new to establish a reference point a TEG will do the OP no good.
Using a Stoney point gauge with a quality match bullet from Sierra or Berger will give him a repeatable measurement that he can use to get in the ballpark of this remaining throat life and much more accurately than the scale on a TEG.
But what do I know, I’ve only got 20+ years of highpower experience, burned out countless barrels, and maintain a cache of Rifles for our Junior program.

according to the paperwork " the reference for the tool is the land diameter of the caliber and is based on a nominal chamber ".

Paperwork also states " Due to barrel and chamber dimensional tolerances and throat variations, the gage provides a relative indication of erosion and should NOT be used for an exact reading ".

It appears that this gage is more likely used by a competitor/gunsmith/armorer to track throat erosion in a rifle chamber. It could probably be used by someone to get a rough idea of an unknown rifles chamber condition. I would think the use of headspace gages and a throat erosion gage could make the difference between spending a lot on that pristine looking Springfield rifle/M1/M1A or not buying it at all.

Good thoughts...

receiver recess housing differences will change gauge measurements, sure will, and it is logical that a Stony point gauge with a bullet would be more practical but from my standpoint.. it would be more beneficial with a point of reference (a scale with increments) to gauge wear rather than guessing where you're at. The seating of a bullet out past what?....half the case neck, a 1/4 of the case neck?

I suppose not past half the case neck. And how would that effect pressure/neck tension to effect accuracy or bullet jump.

Back