What's new
What's new

Selling a rifle

stef.

Aluminum
Greetings,

I have been meaning to ask this question for a while. I normally post on the antique machinery part of the forum only. The question I have is where can I sell an old military rifle? The rifle belonged to my father and was given to me a number of years ago and I do not have a need for the it and would like to sell it. Not being familiar with the selling of firearms I am in need of advice on an outlet to sell. I hope I am inbounds of asking this question.

George

Check your state's laws but basically find a buyer 18 or older agree on a price. Its a good idea to have them sign a bill of sale and make a copy so you both can have one.Other option sell it to a gun dealer but you"ll get less for it.

Greetings,

I have been meaning to ask this question for a while. I normally post on the antique machinery part of the forum only. The question I have is where can I sell an old military rifle? The rifle belonged to my father and was given to me a number of years ago and I do not have a need for the it and would like to sell it. Not being familiar with the selling of firearms I am in need of advice on an outlet to sell. I hope I am inbounds of asking this question.

George

Normaly, person to person sales of long arms are not restricted. You can put an add in the paper and just sell it to the first person over 18 who comes up with the cash. It needs to be transfered to someone who resides in the same state as you and would not otherwise be unalbe to purchase a firearm (over 18 in most states, higher in some). If they obviously have a drug problem, or a mental defect, its in all our interests not to supply them with a gun. I know of no obligation for a private citizen to do a formal background check.

I said normaly, I see your in Michigan and you porbably need to double check the states regulations as well as the federal. I recall that Michigan has some restrictions beyond the Federal restrictions.

As to how to sell it, most old mil spec rifles usualy are not particuarly valuable or rare. Have a friend who knows something about guns take a look at it. Figure out the make and model. Go on line and look at several of the gun auction sights and get a feal for the going prices. Also, some mill speck stuff comands a premium. A very unusual manufacturer like singer sewing machine or a special unit stamp can command a large premium on an otherwise ordanary gun. This is where the knowledgable friend comes in handy, but chances are you dont have anything like that.

If you dont want to deal with the public, you can sell it to pawn brokers through a small gun shops. Some will even consign a piece.

Another option is to take it to a gun show, put a price tag on it and walk around for an hour or two. If the price is slightly below fair, it will move quickly.

If you want to use one of those sights to sell the gun, you will need someone with an Federal Firearms Dealers Licence to handle the transaction. With most millitary pieces, the small fees charged by a dealer to handle the transaction and auction sights fees will not be offset by any premium on the price you get. Most mill spec stuff is just too common.

There are many different venues to sell rifles. Gunshows, possibly pawn shops, Gunstores, trader papers, and also the GunBroker or AuctionArms (online). Those two are bid auction sites.

Now as to value, old military arms are starting to bring some money. Actually, some always have. So, it depends on what you have and what condition it is in. Just like any other firearm.
Let's take a standard Mauser M-98. A few years back, I'd say $250 in good to excellent shape. I think I am see $500 for some of those. Some makes are more numerous, say a Yugo made one. So it would bring less than a Waffen Fabrik (German) made one. Tehn say it has all matching numbers, and in excellent unmodified condition. I think some of those are going for $2000.
Let's say you actually have a rare one, a G33/40 (lighweight alpine/paratrooper). Then that would bring more. I remember just the action would bring $500 to $800 in the mid 80's.
Then you get to the Lugers. One little stamp might make one jump a bunch in price.
Tom

I would suggest taking it to a couple guns smiths (with actual store front shops) and asking if they could give you some idea of what it is worth. And then you might ask them how much of a commission they would want to sell it for you. That gets you out of having people come to your house, and you will probably get a pretty fair price.

George,

Here is a link to where you can read Michigan's gun laws:

NRA-ILA ::

Here is what MI law says:

"No permit is required for the purchase of a rifle or shotgun.
No rifle, shotgun or handgun may be sold to a minor under 18 years of age, a convicted felon, or a person under indictment."

Value? Impossible to say without knowing what it is - could be anywhere from $50 to the sky's the limit depending on make, model, condition. If you can email me a few photos I'll give you my opinion or you can see what they are going for at Guns - Online Gun Auction - Guns at GunBroker.com after you determine what it is.

Regards,
Orin

It might be a good idea to take a few pictures and post them here. I am sure lots of folks here would be happy to tell you what you have and a ball park price. It could be a beautiful condition Garand or some Mosin Nagant, with prices from 1k to 100. Some times the old take home guns wind up machine guns that cant be sold. Sometime they wind up guns that were really never from any war, just family legend :)

photos "selling a rifle"

Greetings,

Thank you for the all of the responses. I am including 3 photos of the rifle. If more are needed, please advise. I noticed that the bolt serial # matches the serial # on the rifle. There is no rust or pitting. I noticed a box of ammo marked 303.

Thanks again to this amazing site, George

100_43782.jpg

100_43792.jpg

100_43802.jpg

Nice 303 P14. The good thing is noone touched the barrel, front sight, nor the receiver. This is a best case Bubba sporterization as all the important metal is intact.

Is there a volley sight intact on the left side, attached to the wood next to the reciever ring? Many were ground off after the war (the first one). I noticed the bolt number does not match the reciever number, but that is not a huge hit on value to me as the surfce finishes are similar.

This is a tough rifle to judge a value by, as it is not all original, but the metal is in good shape and intact. I would guess a fair value of $400. I would consider it for a lesser price.

steph:

Looks like an Enfield P-14 from the rear sight, as you mention .303 cal which is a British flavor. US used similar rifle in WWI , model 1917 which was in 30-06. Is the caliber stamped on rear top receiver? Looks to be in fine shape on exterior.

edit:pogo beat me to it

Last edited:
Gun dealers around here will give you 50% of retail on the spot. They will consign it for a 25% commission, but can't put it up for sale until they run a check whether it was stolen that takes 30-60 days.

Back