What's new
What's new

pink stock - no joke

smootz

Stainless
My baby girl, now 27, lives alone and has requested a home defense weapon for Christmas. Please don't give advise on what to buy. I have already decided and picked up a Stoeger 20 guage Coach gun.

The stock will need some work to fit her 5' frame. That's no problem. Problem is she wants a pink stock. Not camo pink, PINK!

Even though this is not a high dollar gun I hate to utterly kill it's value. Is there a tasteful way to do this? Ideally I would like to have it look like an exotic wood grain.

Thanks for not laughing. OK - at least for not laughing so as I can hear you.

If you can get a light colored wood stock, aniline dyes are a lot of fun to play with as a wood finish. Much nicer than grain obscuring pigments. A tiger maple stock dyed pink could look, well, as good as a pink shotgun possible could?

I laughed when a customer brought in an all pink upper for an AR.

...then he told me that those are good sellers. :scratchchin:

Kinda takes the whole "black gun" scare away.... ;)

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

No one cares what color it is in the black of night...whether you are on the front of the gun or behind it for that matter.

Any job done well will look ok, anything done cheap will always look cheap.

Charles

Both my wife and my aging mother keep 20ga Stoeger single trigger coach guns bedside. Pretty good base gun for the money, but a few hours of work polishing (Lapping compound and cratex polishing wheels) here and there and they are really slick. The gun for my mother received a lighter main spring and lost the auto-safety at her request. Both also have a large XS Express tritium front sight epoxied over the front bead that made a huge difference ( and you can find it in the dark). Interestingly, neither one of them wanted or needed the stock shortened (they are both about 5-8) give or take. Get the tritium sight, smooth it up then buy her some pink roses if she needs something pink. Maybe a custom pink shell holder for the buttstock??? Good luck

Rob

Smootz I'd make her whatever she wants and be happy about it. You can paint your own guns whatever color you want but this is not your gun, it is hers. Make her something she wants. You should be doing this because you care for her more than the value of a gunstock.

You could use pink ivory wood
pink ivory - Google Search

Pink Ivory wood is not cheap stuff if I remember correctly, but it is a nice dense wood.
I like the idea of coloring a near white wood with aniline dye, but if I was doing it I think I would use aniline dye in a light colored varnish so I could see more of the wood anatomy etc. But that is my own particular illness...

They make pink duct tape. My daughter puts it on just about everything she has. It's pink, how nice does it really need to look? Fully reversible if puke green becomes the preferred color.

Seems like the goal is to make her happy. I would put another layer of transparent finish over the current finish, then use pink paint. The existing finishes will prevent the pink from penetrating the wood so it should be easy to strip if the need arises.

I am kind of amused that you think Pink is somehow so outrageous, when about half the "Black" guns sold are decorated with all kinds of mock GI Joe halloween costumes of "tactical" and camo that is about as usable or realistic, in terms of actual military weapons, as Sacha Baron Cohen's uniform in The Dictator.

Most guns sold have ridiculous silly color schemes, Picatiny rails on their picatiny rails, lasers that point at the urinal when you pee, and all kinds of other stuff that is the firearms equivalent of the stuff they put on Honda Civics to make them LOOK like they go fast, and it only makes them sell better and for more money.

Half the population of the world is female, and in the US, a bunch of em own firearms- a Pink gun is probably going to be MORE saleable, and certainly is more practical than an 18" Rambo knife with serrated edges, built in blood grooves, and a titanium and gold plated sheath with Sly's autograph etched on it. And there is a 2 year waiting list for those.

Have you looked at Boyd gunstocks. They used to carry pink laminate replacement stocks. I haven't looked in a long time.

I looked up the Federal 'Pink" shotgun shells, and unfortunately, they dont make them in 20ga.

I picked up some 12ga hulls and reloaded them with buck shot, labeled the box " Feminine Protection ",
gave them to the girlfriend, she got a good giggle out of leaving them in plain sight.

Back