What's new
What's new

Brownells 44/40 instant gun blue

I have never used this stuff before. The finnish varies from black to brown, sort of blotchy. Can you just coat it again or what do you do to get a nice finnish, one color at least.

Can you just coat it again or what do you do to get a nice finnish, one color at least.

I assume you have seriously cleaned the work before applying the solution. All bluing processes work best with clean metal.

I have used it and another that brownells sells quite a bit. I think the other may be ohxphoblue or something. The 44/40 is more aggressive. What I have found to work best is to apply it with 0000 steel wool. It never really will look like a good hot blue but for touch up it is ok. Then when you are done wipe it off real good and oil it. The stuff will rust it if left on. This is all from memory since I have not done much with it in a few years.

The metal not only has to be clean, it has to be freshly polished to remove the invisible layer of iron oxide that forms on bare steel over time. So, polish to bright metal, degrease immediately with something like acetone or brake cleaner. Immediately apply the blue heavily. Brownells Oxpho-Blue is a better product.

RWO

Back