What's new
What's new

Parker Hale 1200 feeding issues

gstprecision

Aluminum
I was chatting with a friend yesterday and he is supposed to bring me his gun for a good overhaul.

It is a clip fed Parker-Hale Safari 1200. One of the issues he pointed out was problem with feeding. If he uses pointed bullets they jam in the locking lug, they are not going up enough if I can say so.

I worked on Parker Hale before but they had internal box magazine. Any common issue with the clip fed 1200 that would cause it to not feed properly with pointy bullets? Magazine Mods?

THX
GST

Ammo specific feeding problems are far from unheard of.
Tell him to use the intended projectile for the gun.
(yeh that will work)

My first thought is start with a good cleaning before trying to diagnose the problem.
Clips are sensitive to there location in the firearm. If you have crud built up on the engagement points, it may be out of alignment.

Clips are also easily dammaged. Look at the ears that keep the shells from ejecting all over the room.
Are they bent, dented, rough, worn, etc. If so, repair or replace the clip.

Those are the most obvious places to start, and should be addressed with any feeding issue.

After that , take a look at the ammo. If it feeds one bullet and not another, see if the feed ramp into the chamber tilts them differently. Small differences in how deep the bullet is seated may change how and when the shell tilts and affect the feeding. If he reloads, play around with the depth the bullet is seated before grinding on the gun.

Modify the cheep part first (ammo in this case)

999.9 times out of 100 its the magazine. You have to consider that they took a gun that was designed to feed from the rails and then built a clip into it after the fact. They never did work well from new. Once the lips get bent a bit they tend to fail more than normal. Normally I would say install a new mag but in the case of the 1200C mags are almost impossible to get. I personally turn them away but if you are so inclined you can spend a few hours chasing the feed lips and spring around but I wouldn't promise the guy the world and don't expect to make any money on the deal.

I haven't seen the rifle yet, I am assuming it is in rough shape from the conversation. Scope bases are looses and other little issues. I have the bases to replace if needed and new rings too, so we'll see how it turns out.

I will go over the feeding ramp and mag lips.

You're right speerchucker, I will not make any promises, It is a favor I am doing for him I am hoping I can make it better, that's his only rifle for everything.

Back