What's new
What's new

milling machine installation

Eluoci

Plastic
Hi guys! i have a newbie question regardless stands i have a grizzly mill that weights 364 lb G0619 6" x 21" Mill / Drill and i am just afraid that the stand is not strong enough for the mill. I checked the weight of the mill the stand is made for its 250 lbs. It looks like the stand is made just out of sheet metal with no reinforcing bars or anything. is it safe to mount on or should i get a bigger one?

Best Regards

Just my two cents but I have a smaller mill about the same weight as yours and it sits on its dedicated stand....and I hate it.
I liked it much better when it sat on the end of my 2" maple workbench. It was smoother, operated better and jumped less.

If I thought no one would notice (the boss) I would close the door and fill it with cement

HTML:
Welcome to the site, you will find many knowledgeable folks here. That's the good news.

The bad news is the cumulative experience of the knowledgeable folks has resulted in the notorious round-column mill-drill being deemed an impractical tool not used by a practical machinist.

Yes, yours has a dovetail column, but you are calling it a mill/drill, which is most unfortunate. And it's a Grizzly, at a pricepoint that shouts "hobby shop".

The problem being that round column allowing the head to swing around at unexpected times. There are some that say "you learn to deal with it", and others that say "dump that POS for whatever you can get for it and purchase a REAL milling machine".

The latter opinion is the opinion held by the owner of this forum. Don't be surprised if the Forum Guidelines are invoked when/if this thread gets locked.

Good Luck,
Steve

I have a clone/variant of the G1007 with a 36 inch table that I use for light milling and drilling and I put it on a piece or 3/4 x 26 x 32 inch pipe as a base. I'm not sure how heavy it is but I'm guessing a combined weight of 1200 pounds and its adequate. I have seen them bolted to heavy wood benches and they vibrate a lot. I have seen the same problem with the Tormach mills/drills and the best advice I can give you is find some way to add weight to the base. Its a pain in the butt when the thing starts to walk out the door when you're trying to do some little job.

Ordinary dirt will support and stabilize it very well, and of any soil-type found on the Canadian landmass.

Just dig a hole, drop it in, backfill, and tamp. Permafrost is not problematical - it can be easier. Sit the device atop it, tent it, put a heater in the tent.

In short order it will make its own hole and disappear enroute back to the hungry smelters of its motherland.

Holes are better than scrappers because they slow down the rate at which these viri reincarnate.

Bill

Ah yes the shining times. They, (Canadian Gunbberment) won't let you do that any more. They nail you with some big time environmental thingy if you do that now days. Say if you sink a D12 Caterpillar into the muskeg, they give you an industrial sized $50,000 littering ticket and force you to call in a Sikorsky S-64 for $500,000, well $10,000 per hour and pull it out.

Sure hope they don't deep-MAD scan the route of the ALCAN and charge back fees with interest, then.

Dad's unit scrapbook has photos of everything from jeeps and half-tracks to D6's and steam locomotives being swallowed. 'South 48' folks just didn't ken permafrost & muskeg. First encounter after blading-off the surface, they thought they struck road-builder's gold in the form of a ready-made hard pavement.

Also a series of stills as two boatloads of hungry engineers chase a Moose swimming a lake, lashing the kill's antlers one across the gunwale of each boat to get the meat back to camp. One of RCMP's finest sitting unconcerned in a folding chair with nary a glance.

Rules against shooting a swimming Moose were in place even in '42, but there was a war on, folks were hungry, and Tlinkit and Inuit guides were along as much for wiggle-room as anything else.

Bill

Stories abound, probably most are founded in truth. Its a common heard story that Chuck Yeager and his cadet buddies used to shoot deer and antelope for sport from the air with P-49 combat aircraft on US training base's back in the early 40s. Today you can go to jail for tossing a gum wrapper, smoking in public or throwing a shoe at a stray cat. I shudder to think what would happen if a fighter pilot today leveled out a run on a moose and capped off 100 rounds out of his F-35s GAU-22/A 25 MM Gatling gun. I'm sure some of the old retires of Martin Skunk might smile in their graves but I don't think to may others would see the humor. he he he

"I shudder to think what would happen if a fighter pilot today leveled out a run on a moose and capped off 100 rounds out of his F-35s GAU-22/A 25 MM Gatling gun."

Not much really. In new jersey you can shoot the roof of an elementary school from an aircraft and not get in that much trouble.

Pilot, F-16 controls blamed in strafing of school | Deseret News

Warren Grove Gunnery Range

("25 rounds in rapid succession)

I couldn't find it but apparently the laser targeting is activated by 'one click' on the trigger on the stick. Two clicks
operate the gun. The recorded conversations were apparently priceless.

"What was that"

"Had a little problem here."

"Were you using the laser designator."

"Yes."

"We talked about that, remember?"

School custodian: "hey, somebody's jumping around on the roof...."

As an aside, I've never quite figured out why some of the *most*
practical members of this forum (gunsmiths) regularly make money
using the types of machines that are 'verboten' from being discussed,
on a practical machinists board. Because they are not for making
money doing machining....

Probably jealousy. I make $2,000 or more a year off of my C1 hobby lathe can opener making pins and screws so I don't have to strip or set up one of the other big machines. It's an $800 investment. After 5 years when its worn out I sell it to some clown who wants to make model trains or planes for $300 and I buy another. $10,000 for a $500 investment over 5 years. Where else can you make $2,000 a year for a $100 investment without going to jail after? I just wish I could make that kind of return on the big machines. That would equate to making a million dollars every 5 years for every basic HAAS machine center you bought.

Actually Jim, a thought just occurred to me. Which in it self is sort of spooky. How in blue thunder did we get a bunch of machinists, in a GUNSMITHING forum anyway?

⎝ᄽ‿ ᄿ⎠
Damned wannabes ! ! ! ! ! ! !

thank guys! =)))) i was mainly afraid that the mill will literally crash when i install it on it. so i guess the bigger the better!

Best Regards!

I have an old drill press mounted on an old typewriter table. We talking about Llois and Superman old. Has a lever that you can raise the table so it can be moved around. On the top was just some flimsy sheet metal spot welded in place. I took that out and had a buddy cut a piece of 3/8" colled rolled plate 2"x2' .No welder so just set to drilling and bolting. Then mounted the drill press, but not before I used a hole saw to cut a 2" hole directly where the drill would be centered on the table. Swaft and metal get swept in the hole and go into a 3 gallon pool bleach bucket. Frank

The last gunsmith shop I was in had a very old Benchmaster mill.

The one before that had a round column mill/drill

Both were highly regarded smiths, in business for a long time.

I suspect the work envelope for most gunsmithing jobs parallels those for much hobby work.
The precision required is the difference, and the gunsmith machinist provides that with the tools available.

I shudder to think what would happen if a fighter pilot today leveled out a run on a moose and capped off 100 rounds out of his F-35s GAU-22/A 25 MM Gatling gun.

Not recommended. Ruins the meat.

It actually comes down to the loose nut behind the controls. A wore out machine will produce a better product from someone who knows what the hell they are doing versus a perfect machine with someone else.

Back