What's new
What's new

toolscopes

rattinox

Aluminum
I'm in some dire need of input here. After about 25 years of using various company toolscopes, I can't remember the brand names of any of 'em! (Night Shift Destroys Minds.........)

I did the usual internet search but can't find a name that rings a bell. These were standard toolscopes, rather large, x-y stage connected to software and PC.

What I'm looking for is what's new out there- a scope for my own shop. I don't need anything more accurate than 3 tenths or so, no photography, no video, no bells and whistles. I could even do without a software package, just need some kind of DRO display. And under $3000, new.

Any suggestions?

Do you mean something like a Opticl Comparator, Profiler Projector or CMM? If so Good luck finding anything under $3000 new. Mite ask on the general forum too.

scope

No, not a comparator.
Think of a large benchtop binocular microscope with an x-y table underneath with large knobs, connected to a DRO (or a PC + software).
They are used a lot in medical machining where the parts are almost always under an inch in size- no other way to really measure 'em.
Most have some kind of fiber-optic box and cable for illumination.

Thanks!

I think you mean a toolmakers microscope. With a 3k budget you can get a new Chinese or Russian one from Ebay.

If you are lucky you might be able to pick up a used Mitutoyo.

For power a 40x reticle works good.

Toolscope

Hi,

See if you can find a copy of " Digital Machinist " magazine Volume 2 no. 4 Winter 2007. Look at the article " Accurate Optical Positioning and Measuring " on page six. If you have any kind of milling machine you can make your own setup for very little money.

ErnieD

Back