What's new
What's new

71/84 Mauser or 11mm Mauser

bbookk1

Plastic
hi guys,
i have a 71/84 mauser im restoring. it was built in 1887 in amberg. the restoration is going pretty good. one problem that is hard to get around is the cost of ammo. anybody know any data on rechambering the thing for something reasonable. suprizing, i think, is my bore is like a mirror. i dont know if it has ever been fired. i heard tales of a person gundrilling one of these to a 50 cal. (i dont mean 50BMG). the tale finished in that it worked and he could fire it. but i dont have any info other that what ive said.

Secondly, mine is rearsenaled into a carbine. does anybody know any cool moves that improves the looks or function of the thing. i even heard that somebody makes parts such as extractors, ejectors, and the like. but i dont know who somebody is.

this thing is remarkably interesting... just like something a german would do if he had time and money. i heard the 71/84 was the german answer to the swiss vetterli; and the vetterli was the swiss answer to the bismark's Dryse needle gun.

at any rate, does anyone have any data or stories ? thank you, bbookk1

This is how Pratt & Whitney Machine Tool got so cash rich before the turn of the century - selling whole arsenals to make these things and later ones too.

Touche John,

I always think its amusing when people go on about "German" engineering on these early cartridge rifles when, they were all built on US machinery...most of which was already in widespread use here.
And...why change the caliber. 11mm Mauser was a BP cartridge with an excellent reputation at the time (millions of rounds were made by Remington UMC in Bridgeport, for the German govt.) The rifle isn't suitable for anything but black powder pressures and all the proper reloading material is available.
Go to the Blackpowder cartridge forum on gunboards.com...lots of those guys shoot the 71/84 nd there is plenty of collective knowledge available.

Joe Puleo

In the Mauser Book (don't ask me which one, it is out in the shop :)) there is a least one ancient Prussian/German arsenal photo that shows the sons of Thor standing around in their blond block headed way - but all the machines they are using came right from there along the Park River in Hartford Connecticut.

Yankee know how - we used to have it in spades.

11mm Mauser

hi,
well, at least one person gave me constructive information. i dont understand all the high-hat talk about germans when more than 20 percent of americans have german blood? seems kinda fruit.

Not everybody came from Germany....

Should hear how the Germans talk abouts us Amis.... :(

And legal descrimination....

Amazing how many places I could not go in over there...

At many, I never let on that I spoke pretty good German....
And was married to one....

Keep it in 11mm, It is a neat old BP cartridge, and with a mirror bore, would be a shame to alter...

About 20 years ago I bought a full length 71/84 in good but not mint condition. At that time a box of ammo was about $40. Dies were about $65. I had aHotch mould made up for about $100 and got to shoot it as much as I wanted. It was much like a 45-90 and always created a lot of information at the range. The brass and tools would no doubt cost more now but saving the old Mauser in original condition would make it worth it in my own opinion at least.

hms50

Back