What's new
What's new

Chamber reamer chatter ☹️

bbrc

Plastic
Hi
Im having a go at rebarrelling my rem 700, got the new stainless barrel set up through the headstock with spider each end
Using a bald eagle reamer holder and hss finish reamer with interchangeable pilot in 30-06
Using a flushing set up running the normal cutting oit but it is a little low on pressure so ive been backing out every 60-80 thou to let the chips clear
Running at 180 rpm
Have developed a bit of reamer chatter with about 1/2” left to cut, tried feeding the reamer in faster to cut through it but the chatter has remained
Does anyone have any advice ? Any help would be much appreciated. Should I try faster rpm Or maybe slower?
Thanks
Bb

Heavier feeds with lower RPMs most likely will help. You might even try turning the spindle by hand while maintaining some feed. I have only altered a couple of chambers with hand fed reamers but assume it will be the same as chattering on chamfer tools, which do respond to this treatment.

when I have a reamer that gives bites, I put cleaning patchs through the pilot just to cover the sholder. it cuts a lot smoother. but I dont have a flushing set up and back the reamer out every 30-50 thou depending how it goes anf I holf the holder handle with one finger so when it bites hard I just drop it and dont damage the reamer

Thanks
Do you mean that you put a hole in a patch and poke the pilot through ? Just trying to picture it to give it a try if slower doesn’t sort it

Thanks
Do you mean that you put a hole in a patch and poke the pilot through ? Just trying to picture it to give it a try if slower doesn’t sort it

yep I just let the patch cover the throat and sholder area.

I had to do it almost all the way when I cut my 3C barrel for the 338.

I cannot remember where I got this trick, but its either here or on CGN

Thanks again all of you that gave your advice, i managed to get the chamber cut with a good finish on it in the end today.
I checked again with the pilots and found that the bore had increased as i had cut in so i went up two pilot sizes to .3004”, I dropped the speed to 80rpm and gave it a try but the chatter remained.
Tried turning the reamer by hand whilst applying feed with the tail stock but still chatter.
Finally tried the patch on the reamer method, I put the reamer in and set a dial gauge on the tail stock so I would know when i was cutting the metal and then took the reamer out, poked a hole in the middle of a 1 1/2” square piece of patch, slid it over the pilot down onto the shoulder of the reamer and oiled it all up and fed it in for a cut of 0.010”. Took it all out , cleaned it up, new patch on and same cut again.
Cleaned up again and the chatter marks were gone🙂🙂
Carried on and cut the rest of the chamber 0.050” at a time with no patches and no chatter
Fantastic result , very pleased and really appreciative of all your advice
Thanks again
B

Back