What's new
What's new

Chamber Reaming Fixtures?

Foghorn

Plastic
I just want to get a feel for what fixtures people are using to mount their chamber in reamers. Who is using the tailstock? Gang style tool post? Floating holders vs. Rigid? 5c collet adapter on the tool post? We are currently running a gang style holder bolted right to our cross feed, generally holding roughing reamers rigid and finish reamers in a JGS floating holder. But we are ready to explore some new possibilities

On your roughing reamers held rigidly do you do this without the pilot bushings? Seems to me the rougher might make an out of round prechamber since the rifled bore will be wandering the deeper you go. Years ago when doing some IBM computer parts that had to be held to extreme precision, we used a solid carbide reamer and mounted it in a hole that had been single point bored in place on the turret. I would think a finish reamer has to float to follow the bore. It could be done rigid as the reamer would bend following the bore, but I do not think you could make a round chamber that way.
I would assume since you are doing this production style you are using pressurized coolant from the muzzle end? After you do this for a while you are going to be the expert telling others how.

On your roughing reamers held rigidly do you do this without the pilot bushings? Seems to me the rougher might make an out of round prechamber since the rifled bore will be wandering the deeper you go. Years ago when doing some IBM computer parts that had to be held to extreme precision, we used a solid carbide reamer and mounted it in a hole that had been single point bored in place on the turret. I would think a finish reamer has to float to follow the bore. It could be done rigid as the reamer would bend following the bore, but I do not think you could make a round chamber that way.
I would assume since you are doing this production style you are using pressurized coolant from the muzzle end? After you do this for a while you are going to be the expert telling others how.

Why wouldn't it be round? MAYBE not concentric but round? Plus a tool will try to follow an existing hole.

Manufacturers who dont hammer forge barrel and chamber in one operation,or buttonrifle,seem to use a reamerless system.Saves lots of expense.Remington,for instance ,seem to use a toolpath cutting method,and often buyers complain that their chambers arent concentric with the bores.Remingtons answer is ,yes we will test your gun,but if it meets SAAMI accuracy criteria,YOU will pay for the testing before the gun is returned.Regards John.

Back