What's new
What's new

first gun purchase - baretta PX4 Storm

Jason H

Stainless
Just took the hand gun safety test last night! now I am in the waiting period for fabulous Peoples Republic of California.

I would very much enjoy adding a laser sight to it, but need some direction on where to look.

I handled several different types and the Baretta had the best feel. If all of these things are CNC'ed out these days, really, what is the quality difference? Is it just design?

Thanks

Jason

Just because something is machined on a CNC machine, that doesn't equal precision or quality. Quality depends on the metal supplier, the inspection processes, machine maintenance, operator skills, etc. Actually how well a gun shoots rarely comes down to the design. Most modern weapons are decent designs, and most modern semi-auto pistols are variations on Browning's 1911.

Its just a design difference that they can do. Especially with polymers, designs can get more "ergonomic" Don't mean the gun is much better than older ones. In fact, some companies rely on their CNC equipment so much that they don't even test the guns and allow quality control to slip.

PX4 Storm = good

I handled several different types and the Baretta had the best feel.
I love the PX4 Storm. It fits my hand perfectly. The release on mine is so smooth that I see the muzzle flash and the recoil on every shot.

Mine mounts a green Laser Max sight. Works quite well.
BerettaLaser_sm.jpg

A couple of minor issues with this laser:
1) The mounting screw (head visible above) protrudes a bit too far on the other side and can hang up on the holster. Grind the end off to eliminate this problem.
2) The on/off switch is the serrated lever in front of the trigger guard. It's off when centered; movement to either side turns the laser on. It can get moved unintentionally.
3) Battery life is rather short.

I strongly recommend a green laser, which is becoming the standard for professionals. Red can easily get lost in emergency vehicle beacons.

This laser pulses rapidly, rather than being continuous, to aid in identification.

- Leigh

Home defense

Personally I can't hit a thing with a pistol, Laser or not. My beside the bed weapon is a mossberg 12 Ga, I checked and the insurance will cover the drywall and the carpet!
A laser is a good way to go, for sighting in the dark it can't be beat. If the laser were big enough, you would not even need bullets or a CCW. If I could get a 105mm towed in the house, it would have a beehive round loaded 24/7. Intruders have NO rights.

I love the PX4 Storm. It fits my hand perfectly. The release on mine is so smooth that I see the muzzle flash and the recoil on every shot.

- Leigh

After much research and "hand holding" of brands and models, I also chose the PX4 Storm. Love mine also.

After much research and "hand holding" of brands and models, I also chose the PX4 Storm. Love mine also.

Thanks guys. I am looking forward to this gun.

Can someone hold my hand when it comes to ammo? What are you finding works best with the Baretta? Any place online that you would recommend?

Thanks

Jason

Hi Jason,

For home defense the recommended round is the Glaser Safety Slug. It's basically a miniature shotgun shell, with lots of tiny balls rather than a solid projectile. It won't penetrate walls, but does a job on bad guys.

For real work I prefer a jacketed hollow point like Federal.

What calibre? Mine's a .40 S&W.

I've never tried to buy ammo online, so I can't answer that.

- Leigh

For personal defense, you can also get 100 round boxes of JHP at good prices at your local "Wally World :willy_nilly:", but you may have to keep checking back ... they are often out of stock. I've used Winchester FMJ and Remington JHP in mine.

For personal defense, you can also get 100 round boxes of JHP at good prices at your local "Wally World :willy_nilly:", but you may have to keep checking back ... they are often out of stock. I've used Winchester FMJ and Remington JHP in mine.

I have two ranges local to me and want to use the baretta when I am out for trap shooting as well. For Metal and paper targets, what is recommended? This is a .40 S&W.

Thank you for the home defense info.

Jason

I have a Px4 in .45 ACP. Like the gun well. However the clips are hard to load with over 5 rounds. Are the 9mm and the .40 clips difficult to load as well?

Mild recoil for a .45acp IMHO.

On my Px4 the slide stays locked back on last round and when you remove the empty clip as one would expect. However, installing a full clip the slide does not automatically release. Is this the same on the 9mm and .40 Px's?

Regards;
Steve

...installing a full clip the slide does not automatically release. Is this the same on the 9mm and .40 Px's?
Yep. In fact I've never encountered a piece that would release the slide on magazine insertion.

That would be a safety hazard, risking detonation of the round if it jammed, or accidental discharge if the user's finger was on the trigger.

- Leigh

Leigh;

Thanks for confirming.

Have not heard anyone use the word "piece" in a long time; and much longer since I have heard a pistol referred to as a "heater".

Regards;
Steve

Defense ammo, use Speer Gold Dot or Winchester SXTs.

Don't use any of the hyped up glazer, or similar with encased shot. Penetration issues with that stuff.

Speer or Winchesters will reliably expand and penetrate deep enough to get to organs.

Haven't seen the results of the newer stuff, but the older Federal Hydrashok did not expand and when recovered from bodies looked like you could darn near reload them and have an unfired cartridge.

Ammo Choice

I live in Missouri. I have received ,and helped teach a CCW class taught at our local gun range, and nearby ones. A good part of the class ciriculum was based on when you discharge your firearm in defense, what will happen to you. The dirtbag you shot or killed defending your home could easily become immortalized by the prossecuting attorney as the sole breadwinner for 6 orphans. The advice given by my instructor was to contact the local LEO, and find out what the official ammo was for duty carry in your township. This was supported by letters from a few of the top defense attorneys in this area of law. Our local departments duty weapons are loaded with Ranger ammo.

I understand Ranger ammo is begining to be hard to come by. Local shops have told me recently that Distributors of this ammo have made them sign disclosures that they will only sell to law enforcement. After they sell what they have in stock they will no longer carry. I have purchased a few boxes in various calibers to put back.

Enjoy your new weapon. I do not own one personally, but I have shot a few at the range. I just cant give up the love for the 1911

Jim

For paper targets & metal use cheap wad cutters, less $ than jacket ones, unless you are shooting for scores, then try a varity and see which shoots best. As far as protection rounds go, check with your local laws to see which is legal, some states ban hollow points, N.J. comes to mind. The safety slug is good for close range for in home use, unless you want to put a big hole in someone. A bow works good too, it won't wake up the kids with a load bang.
Happy Shooting,
Paul

its funny this came up on here. my shop was making the slides for these guns for a little bit. it was a 3" barrel version which i believe the ones like you got are 4. correct me if im wrong. we only made a few hundred of them.

they do shoot very nice though!

Back