Largest Manufacturing Technology
Community On The Web
Close
Login to Your Account

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hey Oliver 88 - will send you a private message concerning "Oliver 88" . Sorry for jumping in on this thread

excello

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

cut rifling is how it was done for a long time that is well documented.
    first step is getting your drilling and reaming down, same for button rifling.
    but as has been said by many button rifling is loaded with tribal knowledge.
    that those who have worked it out aren't going to give to you it's a trade secret.

more time experimenting less time arguing

3. Likes Monarchist, oliver88 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 72bwhite View Post
    cut rifling is how it was done for a long time that is well documented.
    first step is getting your drilling and reaming down, same for button rifling.
    but as has been said by many button rifling is loaded with tribal knowledge.
    that those who have worked it out aren't going to give to you it's a trade secret.

more time experimenting less time arguing
    LOL!

We MIGHT find it humorous that in order to prove his point, Butch has taken his own knowledge, gone and contacted other professionals for verification and support of his position- to the extent that at MY (non-gunsmithing) consulting fees would be priced at $2,000 to $3,000.

And he has done that "for free", not "for fee".

So I'm glad of the information. And equally glad not to have had to PAY for it.
    If he wants be snarky about it? Why care. The info is still good.

Partsproduction has undertaken experiments at the cost of his own invested time and materials that others could not be bothered to attempt, then had the courage to discuss imperfections.

That, too, adds value, whether it is proving the benefit of a new, low-cost approach to the method - or proving it is not so easy after all.

Also "for free".

I don't care if he is snarky, either. The information is still what it is.

So yes. Continue the march, please.

Argued over or not, yah just gotta LOVE the "free" part of the shared benefit of it all!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I suspect there is resistance from people who feel that non professional (Hobby) barrel making is a threat to them, though from what I've learned it would take many hundreds of thousands of dollars to invest in production barrel making equipment to have a worthwhile commercial barrel making shop.

My intent was never to brag or try to compare my humble efforts with that of commercial shops, however, looking my best barrel over I think it is easily as good as many purchased barrels I've had.

I also think rifle barrel making is an order of magnitude more difficult than pistol barrel making, and even pistol barrels for me needed quite an investment in tools beyond the buttons.
    OTH it never ceases to amaze me how much some people invest in both time and money for hobby occupations.

Having said all that my own time/cost investments are a pittance to me in comparison to the joy of seeing a nice pistol barrel made by my own hands and tooling.

In the other thread Harold Hoffman's ebook was mentioned, and in it he explains how to make one's own buttons and reamers from 0-1 tool steel. He explains how to make one's own rifling press to make rifle barrels, in fact he really doesn't spend much time on pistol barrels.

The scenario in my supposition is a time when tooling may no longer be available, nor barrel making equipment of any kind, so the simple purchase of a good button and some MolyZ, some drills, reamers and a power hydraulic press (good for many other uses) could be set aside with information on their use, to rise above circumstances, and end up armed for self defense. How to acquire ammunition is an expansion of the difficulties.

As to what kind of national catastrophe would require such preparation, I won't venture there as I'm not a prophet any more than I'm a gunsmith, but we know power mad people have gotten into positions of power and they fear any power in the hands of individuals, who they consider to be part of the potential slave mass.

The little I've done when I'm not working for customers has been a lot if fun, and I'm just getting started.

6. Likes JNieman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Kinda funny, a threat to some of my friends and their barrel making business? Chuckle chuckle, I don't think any person would loose a seconds sleep over it.
    Parts guy, I've been around the barrel making business for many many years, why would I want to tool up and make some. They are too cheap! When the Armageddon hits I bet I will have cached more barrels than you make and at a cheaper price. I do have a pretty nice shop, but am way past feeling I have to prove to myself and others how great that I am.
    I'm glad that you have convinced yourself.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Kinda funny, a threat to some of my friends and their barrel making business?
    Well I don't know why you act the way you do short of that. Why does it bother you so much that someone wants to make their own barrels? If you don't care why go out of your way to ridicule someone who does? And don't say it was because I ignored your "advice", you started right out trying to belittle me.

You are obviously driven by some insecurity to act that way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by partsproduction View Post
    Well I don't know why you act the way you do short of that. Why does it bother you so much that someone wants to make their own barrels? If you don't care why go out of your way to ridicule someone who does? And don't say it was because I ignored your "advice", you started right out trying to belittle me.

You are obviously driven by some insecurity to act that way.
    Yeah, I chew my fingernails and eat boogers.You started out saying my info to you was bad. I knew then we had a keyboard chip maker. You've dug your own grave.
    You're not worth wasting any more time on as you seem to think you know it all.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Enough is enough.

11. Likes Monarchist, JLarsson, swatkins, ulav8r liked this post