What's new
What's new

Custom Bolt action

Ganzie

Plastic
Was trying to find a guideline to make my own stock for a bolt action, but I can't seem to find any thing other than length of pull. Any tips on what to search for?

Im want to start from scratch make every part on my own, I intend to work on this for a long time. Precision shooting would be it's main function.

Last edited:
Why not start with a factory stock that has features you like and add and subtract features to get what you want? That will give you a pattern.

How to Make a Gunstock - Tools Part 1 - YouTube

If you are starting from a stock blank (not semi-inletted) Chris Knerr has video's worth watching, though he seems to have stopped making the videos before the stock was done.

It would be helpful to know what the rifle will be used for, if it will have a scope or iron sights, and how high either will be. You would not want the same stock for a dangerous game safari as for a prarie dog hunt.

My suggestion is to start with where your finger touches the trigger, then "put" wood to fill the hand as needed to keep that finger in place as the stock is gripped. The body of the stock needs to reach your shoulder, and help position your head so your eye looks down the sights. The barrel portion of the stock needs to secure the action via the front action screw and recoil lug. It needs to give you something to hold onto, and possibly a place to attach a sling. It needs to be deep enough to contain the trigger mechanism and magazine (for most guns) and this will determine the depth at those locations.

At the moment I don't have a stock available. Thank you for the link to the book, I'll be sure to check it out.

I shoot competition BR and the only woodstocks on the firing line are carbon fiber laminated lightweight wood, redwood, cedar, balsa, or a couple others. Most are glass or kevlar-carbon fiber. I use walnut on my custom, pretty rifles, but they are too heavy to make weight.

Why not refer to the rules for stocks from IBS and get the dimensional limits for sanctioned competition. That way the stock will be legal if you decide to compete

Precision shooting? Isn't it all?

Narrow it down to a discipline, and you might get something beside vague and general answers.

Everything from box dimensions, weight limits, and pet theories on recoil behavior, have to be tailored to fit the type of shooting you actually plan to do.

Realistically, for working out shapes and sizes, pretty much any material you can lay hands on can be made to work. Stuff like the multi-layer cardboard fridge boxes, for instance. Cheap, available, easy too cut and glue together. Saw a video of a Fender Strat guitar made of cardboard. So that's not out, as a final material either.

A couple chunks of 2x4 glued and carved, too. Spooge some Bondo on it and carve that to shape if you carved too much wood off.

When happy, use the shape to make what you need, whether that is a fiberglass stock mold or a master for use on a copy machine, or just as a reference while you carve a final version out of something you consider 'nice'.

Back