What's new
What's new

Cutting fluid for chamber reamer

Long Tom

Stainless
Is there a tangible difference with one of the specialty fluids like Viper's Venom? I've got a ton of light-colored tapping oil on hand. Ok to use that or should I procure something better? The dark tapping oil is hard to buy in small quantities these days locally.

I get the dark pipecutting oil at Home Depot or Lowes and then put 10% Tap Magic in it. You can also brush on Lard Oil (filtered bacon grease).

Maybe the dark oil is good for reaming chambers but it is corrosive on brass and copper. It ate up brass shims in one of our machines. For production machining we use the 2 Mobil cutting oils, both are light colored non staining (non corrosive). I have never reamed chambers, maybe someone else can comment on suitability. We do blend these 2 Mobil oils since they are in the same family, blending oils from different manufacturers could cause problems. If you are circulating oil through a pump your Viper stuff maybe too expensive to fill a machine sump.
I have used Moly Dee for heavy tapping and it was alright of that.
Mobilmet 447
Mobilmet 440 Series

I only chamber my personal rifles, but I have used viper venom and RIDGID thread cutting oil. I cannot see any différence on finish or on the feeling of the reamer ( I hold the reamer holder with 2 fingers) but the ridgid oil is available few blocks from home and cost a fraction of the viper. If I would do it for living, I would test one reamer on each oil to test if one last longer.

I can get the dark Rigid, but only in a big-ass jug. I scored about a dozen pints of the light Rigid from a hardware store going out of business, so I hate to buy a jug of the dark for no good reason.

For what it is worth, a while ago I ran out of my favorite stuff and got some Mobilemet cutting oil. I started to have problems with some chambers; I would get rings in the chamber and chip weld. Did not realize I had the lighter oil. I went to Granger and got a gallon jug of the Ridgid premium stuff and the problem went away. Get the darkest, raunchiest stuff you can, you won't regret it. If you can't find it in a small quantity, go to a local plumbing shop and ask if you can get some of theirs.

I can get the dark Rigid, but only in a big-ass jug. I scored about a dozen pints of the light Rigid from a hardware store going out of business, so I hate to buy a jug of the dark for no good reason.

If by big jug you mean gallon, get it. You'll use it and then some.

Jim, that is interesting to know. Do you know which oil you got. The last 55 gallon drum we bought was Mobilmet Nu, and I am fairly sure that is the new 447 oil. Before that we used Mobilmet Omnicron which is probably the the 440 it was definitely a lighter oil. We flood this stuff all over the machines and send parts out for plating so non staining is important to us. One shop I worked at used chlorinated oil and boy was that hard on my hands.

Hi guys I am new to the fourm and I have been a on looker for several years now. So I thought that I would join in on the fun.
Anyway I have been chambering barrels for 17 years and the last 10 years or so I have been using Chevron Elite cut-AM with 10% dextron transmission fluid with great results and I chamber and cut threads at 260 rpm's. Also it contains sulfur and will stain brass and copper.

Loren.

McMaster Carr (look for them online) has various cutting oils including the dark high sulfur oils. As for me I like the high sulfur oil. I looked and it's about $20 for a gallon plus shipping. Usually you get it next day. MSC should have it too.

Hi guys I am new to the fourm and I have been a on looker for several years now. So I thought that I would join in on the fun.
Anyway I have been chambering barrels for 17 years and the last 10 years or so I have been using Chevron Elite cut-AM with 10% dextron transmission fluid with great results and I chamber and cut threads at 260 rpm's. Also it contains sulfur and will stain brass and copper.

Loren.
Another claim of magic from transmission oil. There is, by the way, no such thing as "Dextron".

From time to time I change the fluid in my transmission. I save the fluid drained then us it usually treading aluminum. Since it don't come out of the engine it's OK to use. Drain oil from the engine has too much acid so it's better to get rid of it.
Generally I use the High sulfur oils for threading and reaming. I do have some others but usually get the tried and true High Sulfur oil.

Frank

Jim, that is interesting to know. Do you know which oil you got. The last 55 gallon drum we bought was Mobilmet Nu, and I am fairly sure that is the new 447 oil. Before that we used Mobilmet Omnicron which is probably the the 440 it was definitely a lighter oil. We flood this stuff all over the machines and send parts out for plating so non staining is important to us. One shop I worked at used chlorinated oil and boy was that hard on my hands.

The stuff I had was Mobilmet 404, still have the better part of a gallon jug left. It is labelled "non staining"

Jim

Wake up. Techron is a trade name for a gasoline fuel system cleaner used by Chevron, Texaco, and Caltex, all part of Chevron. No Mobil involved. What the hell does that have to do with cutting oils?

It doesn't have anything to do with cutting oil, was only looking for your opinion and your inbox is filled, so I marked it as OT. I did mean Chevron, and fat fingered that late at night.

Forget I asked, I removed my post as you seem to have got your panties in a wad. I was only looking for your opinion, nothing else.

Master Chemical Trim OM300 is the best cutting oil I have used. Better than the old Mobil Omega. MSC sells it in gallon sizes. If you wait until the next time they have a free shipping deal, I highly recommend it.

Another claim of magic from transmission oil. There is, by the way, no such thing as "Dextron".

But it's RED.
FYI I got some Kroil...I haven't had a real test yet, but it's worked well on the light stuff I've used it on...400-800 pound feet.
Thanks for the tip.

Oh, and I STILL like Dexron for light lube.

Sorry I can not spell very good I guess!!
I meant Dexron and I did not say it was magic but it does work for me.

Back