What's new
What's new

Damaged Barrel.

00fxd

Plastic
Hello,
My heirloom .22 revolver barrel was damaged by a light load that left the bullet 2/3 of the way down the barrel. The next round impacted it resulting in a lengthwise split on each side. A local gunsmith suggests drilling and sleeving the barrel but I would like opinions on whether the sleeve alone will contain the pressure in the bulged area.
Thanks, Frank

Damaged Barrel 1.jpg

Sorry? There's someone local who is paid to do this for a living, who's seen the gun, and you want random advice off the internet?

Odd that a .22 would split a revolver barrel. Usually they just stack up behind each other since the gas can vent off at the cylinder face. That might indicate a flaw in the original barrel steel.

Since it's an heirloom I would ask the gunsmith about using an oversize section of barrel steel to sleeve first then lining the oversize section. Or use the thickest barrel liner I could find.

.22 barrel liners are nominally .312" in diameter, so subtracting the bore diameter of .222" and dividing by 2 gives a wall thickness of .045" which isn't a whole lot. On the other hand, peak pressure for a .22 Long Rifle cartridge probably occurs before the bullet has left the cartridge case and certainly has descended by a factor of 10 by the time the bullet gets to the point of damage.

To me, the real question is what will the drilled bore look like at the point of damage; will there be metal to support the liner or a void? Will the anchoring material fill a void? If the liner cannot expand into the damaged space, I would be confident in the repair. Unsupported, I would be uncomfortable using a conventional liner.

Now if the liner were made from a piece of .22 LR barrel to a larger diameter, I would be more confident. Need more details.

Thanks all. Yes GG, that is my concern. I feel that there will be some void at those areas. The gunsmith, who is a couple towns over, feels that the liner [it looks pretty thin wall to me] will contain the pressures. The other side of the barrel looks the same [identical damage]. My plan would be to gently push the barrel back into shape, slightly v-groove it and run a couple of weld beads for support before drilling and pushing in the liner. I could be wrong...... I am willing to spend too much to repair, and I am not too overly concerned about cosmetics.
Are there any other details that I can provide?
Thanks for everyone's further thoughts on this,
Regards, Frank

Redman liners are .312 nominal OD and made from 4140 aircraft tubing. Tough stuff. The fractured area could be stuffed with Devcon Steel for support on the inside of the new 313 hole, supposing there is a big gap or maw at the point of fracture after drilling. One of the reasons 22's are relined in the first place are ringed barrels from stuck bullets being fired out. No issues with drilling those. I would hazard a guess with a little epoxy backup filler at that point there would be no issues. If it really bothers you, you can get a TJ's hammer forged liner in .375 or .4375 OD.

Thanks JLarsson. I saw that. I am in excitable Canada so it cannot be shipped here or I would be all over it .. still considering that route but I don't know ....

kendog, the Devcon steel for a bit of support in those areas is a great idea if you think it would be sturdy enough once set up...... It should drill easy enough if applied prior :-)
I really appreciate the ideas... still looking at options ....
Frank

Thanks JLarsson. I saw that. I am in excitable Canada so it cannot be shipped here or I would be all over it .. still considering that route but I don't know ....

kendog, the Devcon steel for a bit of support in those areas is a great idea if you think it would be sturdy enough once set up...... It should drill easy enough if applied prior :-)
I really appreciate the ideas... still looking at options ....
Frank

That's a bummer.

I read this on the RCMP website:

"Prohibited ammunition or firearm parts that are classified as prohibited devices, including handgun barrels that are 105 mm or less in length or parts made exclusively for a fully automatic firearm, cannot be imported into Canada."

No chance the barrel is longer than 4"? I wonder if they would count part overall length instead of just the length of the rifled portion.

My barrel is 6". 4" I think is considered a "Prohib". Some 4" owners can have them but they are grandfathered. The gun will have to be destroyed when they pass on... or some such crapola. My 6" is allowable but importing and exporting is very hard ...

Are there any other details that I can provide?

Height and width of the barrel as it appears to be rectangular instead of round.

As a side note, I did a little work an a bulged barrel on a Colt 1903 pistol and being gentle with the pounding was unsuccessful in causing any change to the bulge.

So as I implied in my post above, I would find a damaged .22 rimfire rifle barrel, cut a good section from that and make a liner that was larger in OD. 3/8" is only going to give you another .030" in wall (.076" total) so maybe I would go with .450" if a .450" hole would work in the barrel. Nearest standard drill is 29/64" (.453") which would probably be OK.

Can you order steel tubing? If so, order the liner as a piece of internally fluted steel tubing. Without a chamber that is all it is, not a firearms part. We order our test barrel blanks that way. Think outside the box.

Mil, The gunsmiths have liners etc. etc available. Shipping main gun parts, not so easy......

First choice, buy a new barrel. Second choice, reverse engineer and make your own replacement barrel. Third choice, fill the damage with brazing, nickle silver, or similar; something with some strength and toughness, not epoxy. Then file the deformation for cosmetics, drill and insert a barrel liner or turned down barrel.

Back