What's new
What's new

Dembart checkering tools

dixrid2

Plastic
Does anyone know if anyone is actually stocking replacement cutters. Everyone seems to be out of stock and there is no contact with Walt (Dembart)
Has anyone ever thought of a cost efficient way of making these.
I don't care for Gunline cutters...they seem to course to me.

Thanks

Does anyone know if anyone is actually stocking replacement cutters. Everyone seems to be out of stock and there is no contact with Walt (Dembart)
Has anyone ever thought of a cost efficient way of making these.
I don't care for Gunline cutters...they seem to course to me.

Thanks

Check on the www.accuratereloading.com forum. Scroll to the gunsmith forum. You can then search as it is a much talked about topic.

Could anyone explain how to make them, or send a link if you have one, I'm very curious about this myself. I have a mostly full set but I would like one or two that I con't have and it would be fun to try to make them.

Especially the jointer, as that one is $40 so it would really be worth trying to make I think.

The jointer is the easy one. Use a square piece of tool steel, 1/8" square. Lay out the teeth using a checkering file and sharpen with a triangle file. Make the bends before cutting the teeth and sharpen all teeth evenly to keep them straight and the same height.

I had a friend who was a very well known gunsmith in Western N. Carolina. He made his checkering tools by just filing the teeth onto square 01 with a checkering file. He didn't even harden them,because he would just give the tool a few licks with the checkering tool to resharpen it.

I made mine out of 01,but,being excessively anal,I did harden mine and draw them to a dark straw color. They worked as well as any other cutters. Too easily made to go and buy them.

I feel dumb for not thinking of using a metal checkering file to make the cutters, that's a great and simple idea.

I prefer the Gunline cutters; they don't clog quite as quickly as Dembart cutters, they can be broken off to modify the length, and they can be resharpened.

Shop made spacing cutters include a trap. A two line cutter can be made, but the next one probably won't match the spacing closely enough to use on the same gun. Fixturing is needed to insure the same angles are used on every cutter, and that the edge is symmetric.

What the world needs is a solid source for FE Brownell handles, or a replacement. Midway sold a plastic version for a while, those were icky, looked as cheap as their price.

Back