ER40 Collet Chuck Fixtures - Page 2
Largest Manufacturing Technology
Community On The Web
Close
Login to Your Account

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 72
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    35
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Thanks Speerchucker, I got in too big of a hurry and turned the backplate down too much. I'm going to face the whole thing off flat and start again tonight.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    North(very) West(very) Ohio...near exit 13 on OH turnpike
    Posts
    3,714
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    173

    Default

    I have used a whole lot of ER32 stuff, and the "range" of the collets to get the best out of them is 0. This means that IMHO an "on size" collet is worlds better than one that is "just close". There are some companies that make half sizes that come in handy.

    I always put the tool (mine were tool holders not work holders) in the collet and gripped it in my hand, if the collet was in good shape it would grip the work completely with just that much pressure, when they "die" they get a taper to them in the free state...might never happen in a small shop with typical use. Also if you look up what the mfg states as the proper torque....they have to be quite tight in FT Lbs...takes a pretty decent wrench to get them there.

    I always wanted an ER32 nose for my SB 9.



    Bill

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    2,111
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    10
    Likes (Received)
    550

    Default

    I know guys that have gone to ER32's for work holding but they quickly found that they were forever pulling the collet plate off and putting the chuck back on for odd jobs because the ER32's only go up to 3/4 inch. You are far better off to go to ER40's. They are the same price, same backplate size, they go up to one inch and ER40 collets are always more readily available than ER32's. ER32's are nicer on small mills because the small size lets you sneak up closer to the vise and see better but you don't have those concerns on a lathe for work holding. I just bought an ER32 plate for the C1 hobby machine that I make pins and small screws on but that's more of a can opener than a lathe.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Posts
    3,009
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    491
    Likes (Received)
    1289

    Default

    I bought a piece of 12L14 just for making ER40 noses, and one of these days I'll actually cut into it.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    2,111
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    10
    Likes (Received)
    550

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cole2534 View Post
    I bought a piece of 12L14 just for making ER40 noses, and one of these days I'll actually cut into it.
    You are far far to ambitious. I buy them for $56.00 each ready to mount. LOL

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    North(very) West(very) Ohio...near exit 13 on OH turnpike
    Posts
    3,714
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by speerchucker30x3 View Post
    I know guys that have gone to ER32's for work holding but they quickly found that they were forever pulling the collet plate off and putting the chuck back on for odd jobs because the ER32's only go up to 3/4 inch. You are far better off to go to ER40's. They are the same price, same backplate size, they go up to one inch and ER40 collets are always more readily available than ER32's. ER32's are nicer on small mills because the small size lets you sneak up closer to the vise and see better but you don't have those concerns on a lathe for work holding. I just bought an ER32 plate for the C1 hobby machine that I make pins and small screws on but that's more of a can opener than a lathe.
    I guess IO was thinking the ER32 would end up a shorter overhang ?

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    2,111
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    10
    Likes (Received)
    550

    Default

    I think they are the same Bill. Possibly the ER32's stick out 1/4 to 1/2 inch less but I don't think its much. The diameter of the ER40's is obviously a bit more but for a lathe it does not matter. But I will take a picture of both side by side tomorrow for you and post it.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    2,111
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    10
    Likes (Received)
    550

    Default

    Same height Bill.

    gunsmith-rod-henrickson-er.jpggunsmith-rod-henrickson-er1.jpg

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    North(very) West(very) Ohio...near exit 13 on OH turnpike
    Posts
    3,714
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    173

    Default

    I guess I was looking at it and thinking you could get some of the taper INSIDE the SB9 threaded spindle nose :-). Havint tightened ER32 to the proper torque tens of thousands of times, I could never see how you would get an er40 tight to spec, maybe you can get away with not tightening it to spec for a tool holder ?

    Looks like 130 ft lbs for ER40 ?

    Getting the Best Performance from ER Collet Chucks « CNCCookbook CNC Blog CNCCookbook CNC Blog

    Bill

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    North(very) West(very) Ohio...near exit 13 on OH turnpike
    Posts
    3,714
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    173

    Default

    The Beall Tool Company

    There is one for the SB9. 1-1/2-8...but none of it goes IN the spindle.

    Another one from an old post here............

    ER-32 Collet Adapter - Tallgrass Tools

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    2,111
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    10
    Likes (Received)
    550

    Default

    I don't know how tight you want to tighten them Bill but I have never had anything slip in them and all I use is the spanner wrench supplied with the plate. I have never needed a snipe or anything to keep them from slipping. I have a 5C collet set with a wheel closer and I used to have a 5C Bison chuck. Those things would slip like the clutch in an old woman's car.

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    North(very) West(very) Ohio...near exit 13 on OH turnpike
    Posts
    3,714
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by speerchucker30x3 View Post
    I don't know how tight you want to tighten them Bill but I have never had anything slip in them and all I use is the spanner wrench supplied with the plate. I have never needed a snipe or anything to keep them from slipping. I have a 5C collet set with a wheel closer and I used to have a 5C Bison chuck. Those things would slip like the clutch in an old woman's car.
    Well I'm sure "the spec" is to hold an endmill or other cutting tool, and holding work in a lathe is not nearly as demanding generally :-). The tools I was building up went into machines that had 1500psi of coolant pressure behind the tool, that alone means you want them tight.


    Looks like Maritool has ER40 collets up to 1-3/16

    Bill

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    North(very) West(very) Ohio...near exit 13 on OH turnpike
    Posts
    3,714
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    173

    Default

    I was trying to remember who the co was that made "half size" ER collets, finally dredged it from memory with the help of google, it is Rego-Fix

    REGO-FIX® - ER Collets ER 40 / ER 40-UP

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    Posts
    16,731
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    6938
    Likes (Received)
    5217

    Default getting off the dime..

    Quote Originally Posted by speerchucker30x3 View Post
    For all the kids that have been PATIENTLY waiting, Jeff at tools for cheep FINALLY got those fool, ER40 collet plate/chucks in. I think he has them made up in batch's or only orders them once a year. He is out of ER40 collets at this time so you will have to get them elsewhere. I ordered a similar product from Gloster in the UK but it has a 4 inch diameter back plate and wont fit on a lot of machines without some serious Kanadian Kustomizing and I was all out of duct tape. I think they were designed for spindle noses smaller than 1.5 inch. Also the nose of the Gloster model is furnace brazed into the mounting plate before machining which I suppose is fine but the ones from T4C are one piece.
    A belated thanks for that nudge. I had explored ER-40 online, Rego-Fix history and origins through everything else I could find.
    I finally took my 'theoretical' research results and posted a PM thread asking for opinions.

    Got some good responses, plus a surprising number of negatives, nearly all of them from the uninformed who had 5C-breath.

    Your thread, here counterbalanced that with much more positive experience from extensive hands-on ER use.

    Bottom line is I couldn't see any advantage of ER-32 over ER-40, nor find enough in the way of good sources for scarcer ER-50 or ER-60, so bought one of the T4C's ER-40 plates you recommended.

    For anything larger, I've decided a salvaged and cleaned-up Jacobs 9XX series will be less hassle. And, of course, my 4-J chucks.

    For smaller, I expect to skip all the intermediate sizes and straight-shank mount a simple ER-8 INTO an ER-40, and 'tune' it for TIR if/as/when need be. ELSE same again with a pin vise, which I have used for years for even smaller sizes. I don't do a lot of #80 holes these days.

    Between T4C's price and the good fortune to have recently grabbed several small D1-3" faceplates, the whole rig will come in right around US$ 100, plus a bit of time fitting it all up.

    40-taper and B&S 9 ER-40 mounts still 'To Do', and of course - collets.

    But at least I have ceased procr-ass- tinating and made a comittment!

    Thanks for that!

    Bill

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    2,111
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    10
    Likes (Received)
    550

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    A belated thanks for that nudge. I had explored ER-40 online, Rego-Fix history and origins through everything else I could find.
    I finally took my 'theoretical' research results and posted a PM thread asking for opinions.

    Got some good responses, plus a surprising number of negatives, nearly all of them from the uninformed who had 5C-breath.

    Your thread, here counterbalanced that with much more positive experience from extensive hands-on ER use.

    Bottom line is I couldn't see any advantage of ER-32 over ER-40, nor find enough in the way of good sources for scarcer ER-50 or ER-60, so bought one of the T4C's ER-40 plates you recommended.

    For anything larger, I've decided a salvaged and cleaned-up Jacobs 9XX series will be less hassle. And, of course, my 4-J chucks.

    For smaller, I expect to skip all the intermediate sizes and straight-shank mount a simple ER-8 INTO an ER-40, and 'tune' it for TIR if/as/when need be. ELSE same again with a pin vise, which I have used for years for even smaller sizes. I don't do a lot of #80 holes these days.

    Between T4C's price and the good fortune to have recently grabbed several small D1-3" faceplates, the whole rig will come in right around US$ 100, plus a bit of time fitting it all up.

    40-taper and B&S 9 ER-40 mounts still 'To Do', and of course - collets.

    But at least I have ceased procr-ass- tinating and made a comittment!

    Thanks for that!

    Bill
    Like it or not ERs are here to stay and it seams that just about everyone these days is using them to hold tools in their mills for all but really heavy duty use.
    Jeff got the ER40 collets in a while back They are $150.00 for a full set of 23 collets covering everything from 1/8 through 1 inch.

    Tools4cheap LLC Online Machine Shop Tooling Store: ER 40 23pc Collet Set w/ Holder,ER Collets and Chucks

    I have also bought some Sowa brand ER40 collets which are nearly triple the price. When running precision ground material in them I find that they run no truer than the cheaper collets although the surface finish on them is a bit better. I find run out on cold rolled material is just under .001 inch and run out on precision ground material is about .0003 but my Mitutoyo 1/10 indicator is advertised as being accurate to only to + or - .0002 so the real run out on them is anyone's guess. Under 1/2 thousands I guess is fair to say.


    If you need something to hold smaller sizes you can buy an ER25 set with a straight shank holder that you can simply clamp into the ER40 collet and that will give you a range of 1/6 to 5/8ths. They are quite cheap. I don't have one but I may order one just to have it for small pins. I have no need for anything smaller than 1/16th. Not much in a gun is smaller than .0625 in diameter.

    Tools4cheap LLC Online Machine Shop Tooling Store: ER 25 Collet Set w/ Straight Shank Holder,ER Collets and Chucks

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    Posts
    16,731
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    6938
    Likes (Received)
    5217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by speerchucker30x3 View Post
    Jeff got the ER40 collets in a while back They are $150.00 for a full set of 23 collets covering everything from 1/8 through 1 inch.
    ...DID have my heart set on genoo-wine Rego-Fix, ultra's, but Oy the $pain...

    Best prices I can find on the uber-precise .0002 TIR are from a Taiwanese firm with factories in both Taiwan and PRC selling under the . 'Techniks' brand. Seem to be well-regarded in general.


    I have also bought some Sowa brand ...
    Budget s glowing in the dark about now, but I've been keeping an eye out for their 40-taper holders... what do your know about Seco?


    If you need something to hold smaller sizes you can buy an ER25 set with a straight shank holder that you can simply clamp into the ER40 collet and that will give you a range of 1/6 to 5/8ths. They are quite cheap. I don't have one but I may order one just to have it for small pins.
    ER8 is costlier per-size in its small coverage range, down to 1/32" or Metric equivalent - but the ER-40 goes down far enough to basically allow skipping everything else in between ....IF grip range is the only criteria.

    For a busier shop, of course the workholder's overall size and how much torque they want to actuate, etc matter just as much as grip-range. For MY limited needs, OTOH, ER-40 + ER-8 covers it.

    Lathe-wise most of the time I expect to be on 4-J or faceplate anyway. Mills and DP are already pretty well covered, so one-each 40-taper and B&S #9 and I'm done acquiring for a while.

    Bill

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Posts
    3,009
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    491
    Likes (Received)
    1289

    Default Re: ER40 Collet Chuck Fixtures

    Tagged for sober reading

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    Posts
    16,731
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    6938
    Likes (Received)
    5217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cole2534 View Post
    Tagged for sober reading
    Cheatin'






    .

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Posts
    3,009
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    491
    Likes (Received)
    1289

    Default

    Whew, that was a good idea. I've an extra D1-6 back plate and 10 days off over the holiday- making a set true er40 chuck may be just the thing to do.

    Anyone remember any good threads on how to do one?

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    2,111
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    10
    Likes (Received)
    550

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cole2534 View Post
    Whew, that was a good idea. I've an extra D1-6 back plate and 10 days off over the holiday- making a set true er40 chuck may be just the thing to do.

    Anyone remember any good threads on how to do one?

    There was a thread here on that but I disremember when and where. Its just like any other chuck. Cut the male on the plate .003 inch over in diameter and cut the forward part .020 short for clearance. Locate and drill the holes in the plate slightly over size say .020 per side. Lightly oil the plate to rust proof it and put the plate in the deep freeze for three hours to shrink it. Then heat the chuck to say 200F, just to hot to handle without gloves or almost spitting hot. Pull the plate out of the freezer and quickly line up the holes and drop the two parts together. Run the bolts in and snug them up and as they normalize they should stick. If they wont go together take a thousandths off the plate and try again. Some guys will cut the male undersized a bit and then snug the bolts a bit and knock them into zero with a piece of babbit using a dial indicator and a piece of ground stock and then tighten them down. I'm far to lazy to go to all that trouble.

    ADD NOTE: Actually it was post #20 of this thread.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •