What's new
What's new

Fluting a barrel

Gotta give him credits for it :-) Both the fluting and machine itself.
Thounsands here, millionths there, I bet that machine has done Lots of useful stuff and given a nice feeling that´s come with every chip it´s teared off from that chunk of steel being in the wise.

You could almost sell that machine in rural, Redneck USA. ALMOST ! The machine itself appears to be mostly Massey Ferguson in manufacture which will go over well with proud, flag waving, god fearing Americans, but the power feed unit appears that it may have been made in Mexico. And that aint gonna go over so well !

It must be redneck. Pretty sure the cutter had a few teeth missing! The rooster crowing in the background really give an impression of a high tech operation too. Still, the guy made his own machine and got the job done. Most people these days don't have the ambition to do this kind of thing.
Pete

Hi Guys,

Always looking for different ways to do things, I ran across a video on YouTube about fluting barrels and thought I could pass this knowledge on to my fellow gunsmiths/machinists - ENJOY!!!!

Here is the finished product

I guess necessity is the mother of invention.......

Later
Johnny V
NRA Life Member 1976

But take a gander at the "Finished Product"......

I'm impressed..........

Later
Johnny V
NRA Life Member 1976

I don't see anything wrong with the finished product. The road getting there was interesting and maybe not what some of us are used to seeing but he's using what he's got and did a fine job.

I'd pick him over Red Jacket for that job.

Topstrap

I don't see anything wrong with the finished product. The road getting there was interesting and maybe not what some of us are used to seeing but he's using what he's got and did a fine job.

I'd pick him over Red Jacket for that job.

Topstrap

Lookout Red Jacket, the competition has landed......

ROFLMOA

Later
Johnny V
NRA Life Member 1976

Back